Do geese migrate domestically?: Evidence from the Chinese textile and apparel industry
The vast majority of empirical literature on “flying geese” examines industrial relocation across national boundaries, in particular in Asia. However, few studies have empirically tested whether this kind of “flying geese” pattern of industrial relocation has occurred domestically in a large country, provided that the regional difference is large enough. Using textile and apparel industry data for the period 1997–2008 in China, the paper shows that until 2004, the textile and apparel industry was still concentrated in the eastern region of China, but starting in 2005, the flying geese phenomenon of industrial relocation began to appear.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2033 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chong-En Bai & Yingjuan Du & Zhigang Tao & Sarah Y. Tong, 2003.
"Local Protectionism and Regional Specialization: Evidence from China’s Industries,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2003-565, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bai, Chong-En & Du, Yingjuan & Tao, Zhigang & Tong, Sarah Y., 2004. "Local protectionism and regional specialization: evidence from China's industries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 397-417, July.
- James, John A., 1983. "Structural Change in American Manufacturing, 1850–1890," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(02), pages 433-459, June.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Yang, Jin & Wang, Shenglin, 2010.
"China has reached the lewis turning point,"
IFPRI discussion papers
977, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ge, Ying, 2009. "Globalization and Industry Agglomeration in China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 550-559, March.
- Dowlinga, Malcolm & Cheang, Chia Tien, 2000. "Shifting comparative advantage in Asia: new tests of the "flying geese" model," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 443-463.
- Long, Cheryl & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2011.
"Cluster-based industrialization in China: Financing and performance,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 112-123, May.
- Long, Cheryl & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2009. "Cluster-based industrialization in China: Financing and performance," IFPRI discussion papers 937, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Tan, Kong-Yam, 2007.
"Incremental Reform and Distortions in China’s Product and Factor Markets,"
6804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kong-Yam Tan, 2007. "Incremental Reform and Distortions in China's Product and Factor Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(2), pages 279-299, March.
- Ruan, Jianqing & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2008.
"Finance and cluster-based industrial development in China:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
768, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jianqing Ruan & Xiaobo Zhang, 2009. "Finance and Cluster-Based Industrial Development in China," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(1), pages 143-164, October.
- de Brauw, Alan & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott & Zhang, Linxiu & Zhang, Yigang, 2002.
"The Evolution Of China'S Rural Labor Markets During The Reforms,"
11984, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- de Brauw, Alan & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott & Zhang, Linxiu & Zhang, Yigang, 2002. "The Evolution of China's Rural Labor Markets During the Reforms," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 329-353, June.
- Kumagai, Satoru, 2008. "A journey through the secret history of the Flying Geese Model," IDE Discussion Papers 158, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Wen, Mei, 2004. "Relocation and agglomeration of Chinese industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 329-347, February.
- Keijiro Otsuka, 2006. "Cluster-Based Industrial Development: A View From East Asia," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(3), pages 361-376.
- Kojima, Kiyoshi, 2000. "The "flying geese" model of Asian economic development: origin, theoretical extensions, and regional policy implications," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 375-401.
- Ray Hudson, 2002. "Changing Industrial Production Systems and Regional Development in the New Europe," One Europe or Several? Working Papers 45, One-Europe Programme.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:ifprid:1040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.