On-line Bayesian estimation of AR signals in symmetric alpha-stable noise
In this paper we propose an on-line Bayesian filtering and smoothing method for time series models with heavy-tailed alpha-stable noise, with a particular focus on TVAR models. alpha-stable processes have been shown in the past to be a good model for many naturally occurring noise sources. We first point out how a filter that fails to take into account the heavy-tailed character of the noise performs poorly and then examine how an alpha-stable based particle filter can be devised to overcome this problem. The filtering methodology is based on a scale mixtures of normals (SMiN) representation of the alpha-stable distribution, which allows efficient Rao-Blackwellised implementation within a conditionally Gaussian framework, and requires no direct evaluation of the alpha-stable density, which is in general unavailable in closed form. The methodology is shown to work well, outperforming the traditional Gaussian methods both on simulated data and on real audio data sets.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Signal Processing, IEEE Transactions on, Feb. 2006, 54, 2: 775-779. doi: 10.1109/TSP.2005.861886|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Viale G.B. Morgagni, 59 - I-50134 Firenze - Italy|
Phone: +39 055 2751500
Fax: +39 055 2751525
Web page: http://www.disia.unifi.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Godsill, Simon J. & Doucet, Arnaud & West, Mike, 2004. "Monte Carlo Smoothing for Nonlinear Time Series," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 156-168, January.
- Lombardi, Marco J., 2007.
"Bayesian inference for [alpha]-stable distributions: A random walk MCMC approach,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 2688-2700, February.
- Marco J. Lombardi, 2004. "Bayesian inference for alpha-stable distributions: a random walk MCMC approach," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2004_11, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Nicolas Chopin, 2002. "A sequential particle filter method for static models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 539-552, August.
- Nicolas Chopin, 2000. "A Sequential Particle Filter Method for Static Models," Working Papers 2000-45, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Tsionas, Efthymios G., 1998. "Monte Carlo inference in econometric models with symmetric stable disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 365-401, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)