Imortance Sampling Schemes for Evidence Approximation in Mixture Models
The marginal likelihood is a central tool for drawing Bayesian inference about the number of components in mixture models. It is often approximated since the exact form is unavailable. A bias in the approximation may be due to an incomplete exploration by a simulated Markov chain (e.g., a Gibbs sequence) of the collection of posterior modes, a phenomenon also known as lack of label switching, as all possible label permutations must be simulated by a chain in order to converge and hence overcome the bias. In an importance sampling approach, imposing label switching to the importance function results in an exponential increase of the computational cost with the number of components. In this paper, two importance sampling schemes are proposed through choices for the importance function; a MLE proposal and a Rao-Blackwellised importance function. The second scheme is called dual importance sampling. We demonstrate that this dual importance sampling is a valid estimator of the evidence and moreover show that the statistical efficiency of estimates increases. To reduce the induced high demand in computation, the original importance function is approximated but a suitable approximation can produce an estimate with the same precision and with reduced computational workload
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://www.crest.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolas Chopin, 2000.
"A Sequential Particle Filter Method for Static Models,"
2000-45, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Nicolas Chopin, 2002. "A sequential particle filter method for static models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 539-552, August.
- Matthew Stephens, 2000. "Dealing with label switching in mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 795-809.
- Nial Friel & Jason Wyse, 2012. "Estimating the evidence – a review," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 66(3), pages 288-308, 08.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/3692 is not listed on IDEAS
- N. Friel & A. N. Pettitt, 2008. "Marginal likelihood estimation via power posteriors," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 70(3), pages 589-607.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpaper:2013-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.