Did the Financial Reforms of the Early 1990s Fail? A Comparison of Bank Failures and FDIC Losses in the 1986-92 and 2007-13 Periods
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Cole, Rebel A. & Gunther, Jeffery W., 1995.
"Separating the likelihood and timing of bank failure,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 1073-1089, September.
- Rebel A. Cole & Jeffery W. Gunther, 1993. "Separating the likelihood and timing of bank failure," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-20, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rebel A. Cole & Jeffery W. Gunther, 1993. "Separating the likelihood and timing of bank failure," Financial Industry Studies Working Paper 93-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Gary Whalen, 1991. "A proportional hazards model of bank failure: an examination of its usefulness as an early warning tool," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, vol. 27(Q I), pages 21-31.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA), vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Bennett, Rosalind L. & Unal, Haluk, 2014. "The effects of resolution methods and industry stress on the loss on assets from bank failures," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 15(C), pages 18-31.
- Jin, Justin Yiqiang & Kanagaretnam, Kiridaran & Lobo, Gerald J., 2011. "Ability of accounting and audit quality variables to predict bank failure during the financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2811-2819, November.
- James, Christopher, 1991. "The Losses Realized in Bank Failures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1223-1242, September.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Balla, Eliana & Mazur, Laurel C. & Prescott, Edward Simpson & Walter, John R., 2019. "A comparison of community bank failures and FDIC losses in the 1986–92 and 2007–13 banking crises," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 1-15.
- Cowan, Arnold R. & Salotti, Valentina, 2015. "The resolution of failed banks during the crisis: Acquirer performance and FDIC guarantees, 2008–2013," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 222-238.
- Chiorazzo, Vincenzo & D'Apice, Vincenzo & DeYoung, Robert & Morelli, Pierluigi, 2018. "Is the traditional banking model a survivor?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 238-256.
- Betz, Frank & Oprică, Silviu & Peltonen, Tuomas A. & Sarlin, Peter, 2014. "Predicting distress in European banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 225-241.
- Calice, Pietro, 2014. "Predicting bank insolvency in the Middle East and North Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6969, The World Bank.
- Joseph Mason, 2001. "Do Lender of Last Resort Policies Matter? The Effects of Reconstruction Finance Corporation Assistance to Banks During the Great Depression," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 20(1), pages 77-95, September.
- Guo, Lin, 1999. "When and why did FSLIC resolve insolvent thrifts?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 955-990, June.
- Paola Bongini & Stijn Claessens & Giovanni Ferri, 2001.
"The Political Economy of Distress in East Asian Financial Institutions,"
Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 5-25, February.
- Bongini, Paola & Claessens, Stijn & Ferri, Giovanni, 2000. "The political economy of distress in East Asian financial institutions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2265, The World Bank.
- Allen N. Berger & Björn Imbierowicz & Christian Rauch, 2016.
"The Roles of Corporate Governance in Bank Failures during the Recent Financial Crisis,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 48(4), pages 729-770, June.
- Berger, A.N. & Imbierowicz, B. & Rauch, C., 2012. "The Roles of Corporate Governance in Bank Failures during the Recent Financial Crisis," Other publications TiSEM 019d27e7-b609-4a7d-a392-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 2012. "Bank failure risk: Different now?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 613-616.
- Klaus Schaeck, 2008. "Bank Liability Structure, FDIC Loss, and Time to Failure: A Quantile Regression Approach," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 33(3), pages 163-179, June.
- Viral V. Acharya & Lea Borchert & Maximilian Jager & Sascha Steffen, 2020.
"Kicking the Can Down the Road: Government Interventions in the European Banking Sector,"
NBER Working Papers
27537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Jager, Maximilian & Steffen, Sascha & Steinruecke, Lea, 2020. "Kicking the can down the road: government interventions in the European banking sector," CEPR Discussion Papers 15009, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dorfleitner, Gregor & Priberny, Christopher & Röhe, Michaela, 2017. "Why do microfinance institutions fail socially? A global empirical examination," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 81-89.
- Sun, Junjie & Wu, Deming & Zhao, Xinlei, 2018. "Systematic risk factors and bank failures," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 98(C), pages 1-18.
- Tatom, John, 2011.
"Predicting failure in the commercial banking industry,"
34608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John A. Tatom & Reza Houston, 2011. "Predicting Failure in the Commercial Banking Industry," NFI Working Papers 2011-WP-27, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Cullen F. Goenner, 2020. "Uncertain times and early predictions of bank failure," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 583-601, November.
- Mamonov, Mikhail (Мамонов, Михаил), 2017. "«Holes» in the Capital of Failed Russian Banks: Old Indicators and New Hypotheses [«Дыры» В Капитале Обанкротившихся Российских Банков: Старые Факторы И Новые Гипотезы]," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 166-199, February.
- DeYoung, Robert & Torna, Gökhan, 2013. "Nontraditional banking activities and bank failures during the financial crisis," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 397-421.
- Anca Podpiera & Jiri Podpiera, 2005. "Deteriorating Cost Efficiency in Commercial Banks Signals an Increasing Risk of Failure," Working Papers 2005/06, Czech National Bank.
- Papanikolaou, Nikolaos I., 2018.
"To be bailed out or to be left to fail? A dynamic competing risks hazard analysis,"
Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 61-85.
- Nikolaos I. Papanikolaou, 2017. "To Be Bailed Out or To Be Left to Fail? A Dynamic Competing Risks Hazard Analysis," BAFES Working Papers BAFES12, Department of Accounting, Finance & Economic, Bournemouth University.
More about this item
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BAN-2015-06-05 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2015-06-05 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2015-06-05 (Corporate Finance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedrwp:15-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/frbrius.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.