Macroeconomic dynamics near the ZLB: a tale of two equilibria
This paper studies the dynamics of a New Keynesian dynamic stochastic general equilibrium (DSGE) model near the zero lower bound (ZLB) on nominal interest rates. In addition to the standard targeted-inflation equilibrium, we consider a deflation equilibrium as well as a Markov sunspot equilibrium that switches between a targeted-inflation and a deflation regime. We use the particle filter to estimate the state of the U.S. economy during and after the 2008-09 recession under the assumptions that the U.S. economy has been in either the targeted-inflation or the sunspot equilibrium. We consider a combination of fiscal policy (calibrated to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) and monetary policy (that tries to keep interest rates near zero) and compute government spending multipliers. Ex-ante multipliers (cumulative over one year) under the targeted-inflation regime are around 0.9. A monetary policy that keeps interest rates at zero can raise the multiplier to 1.7. The ex-post (conditioning on the realized shocks in 2009-11) multiplier is estimated to be 1.3. Conditional on the sunspot equilibrium, the multipliers are generally smaller and the scope for conventional expansionary monetary policy is severely limited.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 10 Independence Mall, Philadelphia, PA 19106-1574|
Web page: http://www.philadelphiafed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.phil.frb.org/econ/wps/index.html Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Grey Gordon & Pablo A. Guerrón-Quintana & Juan Rubio-Ramírez, 2012.
"Nonlinear Adventures at the Zero Lower Bound,"
NBER Working Papers
18058, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernández-Villaverde, Jesús & Gordon, Grey & Guerron-Quintana, Pablo A. & Rubio-Ramírez, Juan Francisco, 2012. "Nonlinear Adventures at the Zero Lower Bound," CEPR Discussion Papers 8972, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Grey Gordon & Pablo Guerrón-Quintana & Juan F. Rubio-Ramírez, 2012. "Nonlinear adventures at the zero lower bound," Working Papers 12-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Braun, R Anton & Koerber, Lena & Waki, Yuichiro, 2015.
"Some Unpleasant Properties of Loglinearized Solutions When the Nominal Rate is Zero,"
Bank of England working papers
553, Bank of England.
- Braun, R. Anton & Körber, Lena Mareen & Waki, Yuichiro, 2012. "Some unpleasant properties of loglinearized solutions when the nominal rate is zero," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2012-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, revised 01 Nov 2015.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2010.
"When is the government spending multiplier large?,"
FRB Atlanta CQER Working Paper
2010-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Mertens, Karel & Ravn, Morten O, 2010.
"Fiscal Policy in an Expectations Driven Liquidity Trap,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7931, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karel R. S. M. Mertens & Morten O. Ravn, 2014. "Fiscal Policy in an Expectations-Driven Liquidity Trap," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 81(4), pages 1637-1667.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2012.
"DSGE model-based forecasting,"
554, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Tim Hursey & Alexander L. Wolman, 2010. "Monetary policy and global equilibria in a production economy," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue 4Q, pages 317-337.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1992. "Projection methods for solving aggregate growth models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 410-452, December.
- Gust, Christopher & López-Salido, J David & Smith, Matthew E, 2012.
"The Empirical Implications of the Interest-Rate Lower Bound,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9214, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gust, Christopher J. & Lopez-Salido, J. David & Smith, Matthew E. & Herbst, Edward, 2012. "The empirical implications of the interest-rate lower bound," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-83, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), revised 12 Feb 2016.
- Peter N. Ireland, 2000.
"Money's Role in the Monetary Business Cycle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
458, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter Ireland, 2000. "Matlab code for Money's Role in the Monetary Business Cycle," QM&RBC Codes 47, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Peter N. Ireland, 2001. "Money's Role in the Monetary Business Cycle," NBER Working Papers 8115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth L. Judd & Lilia Maliar & Serguei Maliar, 2010. "A Cluster-Grid Projection Method: Solving Problems with High Dimensionality," NBER Working Papers 15965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedpwp:13-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beth Paul)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.