Habit formation heterogeneity: Implications for aggregate asset pricing
We study the asset pricing implications of a general equilibrium Lucas endowment economy inhabited by two agents with habit formation preferences. Preferences are modeled either as internal or external habits. We allow for agents' heterogeneity in relative risk aversion and habit strength. We explicitly compute aggregate prices, such as equity premium, equity volatility, Sharpe ratio, interest rate volatility, and asset holdings for both types of preferences. Equilibrium quantities are computed using a recently developed algorithm of Dumas and Lyasoff (2011), which is refined to capture time nonseparability induced by habit. We obtain that internal habits provide for a considerable improvement in obtaining aggregate asset pricing quantities consistent with historically observed magnitudes as opposed to ``catching up with Joneses" preferences.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/fedsorder.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gomes, Francisco J & Michaelides, Alexander, 2007.
"Asset Pricing with Limited Risk Sharing and Heterogeneous Agents,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Gomes & Alexander Michaelides, 2008. "Asset Pricing with Limited Risk Sharing and Heterogeneous Agents," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(1), pages 415-448, January.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009.
"A Parsimonious Macroeconomic Model for Asset Pricing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(6), pages 1711-1750, November.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "A Parsimonious Macroeconomic Model for Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 15243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "A parsimonious macroeconomic model for asset pricing," Staff Report 434, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Pijoan-Mas, Josep, 2006.
"Pricing Risk in Economies with Heterogenous Agents and Incomplete Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5602, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Josep Pijoan-Mas, 2007. "Pricing Risk in Economies with Heterogeneous Agents and Incomplete Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 5(5), pages 987-1015, 09.
- Josep Pijoan-Mas, 2002. "Pricing Risk in Economies with Heterogenous Agents and Incomplete Markets," Centro de Altisimos Estudios Rios Pe©rez(CAERP) 3, Centro de Altisimos Estudios Rios Perez (CAERP).
- Qiang Dai & Olesya V. Grishchenko, 2014.
"An Empirical Investigation of Consumption-Based Asset Pricing Models with Stochastic Habit Formation,"
Quarterly Journal of Finance (QJF),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 4(01), pages 1450005-1-1.
- Qiang Dai & Olesya V. Grishchenko, 2011. "An empirical investigation of consumption-based asset pricing models with stochastic habit formation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-47, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1995.
"By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
4995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cochrane, John H. & Campbell, John, 1999. "By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior," Scholarly Articles 3119444, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1994. "By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior," CRSP working papers 412, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1994. "By force of habit: a consumption-based explanation of aggregate stock market behavior," Working Papers 94-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Grishchenko, Olesya V., 2010. "Internal vs. external habit formation: The relative importance for asset pricing," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 176-194, May.
- Costas Xiouros & Fernando Zapatero, 2010. "The Representative Agent of an Economy with External Habit Formation and Heterogeneous Risk Aversion," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(8), pages 3017-3047, August.
- Bhamra, Harjoat Singh & Uppal, Raman, 2013.
"Asset Prices with Heterogeneity in Preferences and Beliefs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raman Uppal & Harjoat Bhamra, 2013. "Asset Prices with Heterogeneity in Preferences and Beliefs," 2013 Meeting Papers 1344, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgfe:2012-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.