Consumer behavior and payment choice: a conference summary
The Emerging Payments Research Group (EPRG) at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston sponsored a new conference, “Consumer Behavior and Payment Choice: How and Why Do Consumers Choose Their Payment Methods?” on October 27–28, 2005, at the Boston Fed. The conference brought together a diverse set of participants from the academic, private, and public sectors. This paper provides a summary and overview of the conference. Key conclusions are that the consumer’s decision-making process concerning payment choice is quite complex, that standard economic models have difficulty incorporating this complexity, that additional research—especially interdisciplinary research—into consumer choice of payment method is needed, and that this conference was an important step in that direction.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 600 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02210|
Web page: http://www.bos.frb.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kahn, Charles M. & Roberds, William, 2008.
"Credit and identity theft,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 251-264, March.
- Fumiko Hayashi & Elizabeth C. Klee, 2002.
"Technology adoption and consumer payments : evidence from survey data,"
Payments System Research Working Paper
PSR WP 02-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Hayashi Fumiko & Klee Elizabeth, 2003. "Technology Adoption and Consumer Payments: Evidence from Survey Data," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-16, June.
- Byoung-Min Kim & Richard Widdows & Tansel Yilmazer, 2005. "The determinants of consumers’ adoption of Internet banking," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Eugene Amromin & Carrie Jankowski & Richard D. Porter, 2006.
"Transforming payment choices by doubling fees on the Illinois tollway,"
Working Paper Series
WP-06-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Eugene Amromin & Carrie Jankowski & Richard D. Porter, 2005. "Transforming payment choices by doubling fees on the Illinois Tollway," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Eugene Amromin & Carrie Jankowski & Richard D. Porter, 2007. "Transforming payment choices by doubling fees on the Illinois Tollway," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 22-47.
- Stacey L. Schreft, 2006.
"How and why do consumers choose their payment methods?,"
Research Working Paper
RWP 06-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Stacey L. Schreft, 2005. "How and why do consumers choose their payment methods?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedbpp:06-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Catherine Spozio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.