The big problem of large bills: the Bank of Amsterdam and the origins of central banking
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- William Roberds & Stephen Quinn, 2005. "The Big Problem of Large Bills: The Bank of Amsterdam and the Origins of Central Banking," 2005 Meeting Papers 318, Society for Economic Dynamics.
References listed on IDEAS
- Fujiki, Hiroshi, 2003. "A model of the Federal Reserve Act under the international gold standard system," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1333-1350, September.
- Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber, 2000. "A Model of Bimetallism," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(6), pages 1210-1234, December.
- Sargent, Thomas J. & Wallace, Meil, 1983. "A model of commodity money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 163-187.
- Arthur J. Rolnick & Francois R. Velde & Warren E. Weber, 1997.
"The debasement puzzle: an essay on medieval monetary history,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 8-20.
- Rolnick, Arthur J. & Velde, François R. & Weber, Warren E., 1996. "The Debasement Puzzle: An Essay on Medieval Monetary History," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 56(04), pages 789-808, December.
- Sussman, Nathan & Zeira, Joseph, 2003.
"Commodity money inflation: theory and evidence from France in 1350-1436,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 1769-1793, November.
- Sussman, Nathan & Zeira, Joseph, 2002. "Commodity Money Inflation: Theory and Evidence from France in 1350-1436," Working Paper Series rwp02-008, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Freeman, Scott, 1996. "The Payments System, Liquidity, and Rediscounting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1126-1138, December.
- Charles Goodhart, 1988. "The Evolution of Central Banks," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262570734, January.
- de Vries,Jan & van der Woude,Ad, 1997. "The First Modern Economy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521570619.
- Ruilin Zhou, 2000. "Understanding intraday credit in large-value payment systems," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q III, pages 29-44.
- de Vries,Jan & van der Woude,Ad, 1997. "The First Modern Economy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521578257.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 2013. "Is monetary policy overburdened?," IMFS Working Paper Series 75, Goethe University Frankfurt, Institute for Monetary and Financial Stability (IMFS).
- Calomiris, Charles W. & Flandreau, Marc & Laeven, Luc, 2016.
"Political foundations of the lender of last resort: A global historical narrative,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 48-65.
- Calomiris, Charles & Flandreau, Marc & Laeven, Luc, 2016. "Political Foundations of the Lender of Last Resort: A Global Historical Narrative," CEPR Discussion Papers 11448, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Glenn Stevens, 2011. "The Role of Finance," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 87(276), pages 1-10, March.
- Stephen F. Quinn & William Roberds, 2006. "An economic explanation of the early Bank of Amsterdam, debasement, bills of exchange, and the emergence of the first central bank," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2006-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Norman, Ben & Shaw, Rachel & Speight, George, 2011. "The history of interbank settlement arrangements: exploring central banks’ role in the payment system," Bank of England working papers 412, Bank of England.
More about this item
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- N13 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Europe: Pre-1913
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-09-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2005-09-29 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2005-09-29 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MAC-2005-09-29 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2005-09-29 (Monetary Economics)
ListsThis item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- User:Itai/TODO in Wikipedia English ne '')
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedawp:2005-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elaine Clokey). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbatus.html .