Bank capital structure, regulatory capital, and securities innovations
Although financial instruments that, in effect, permit corporations to treat preferred stock dividends as tax-deductible interest have been used by nonfinancial corporations since late 1993, bank holding companies (BHCs) did not issue these trust-preferred securities (TPS) until 1996, when the Federal Reserve qualified them as Tier-1 capital. We delineate and test hypotheses with 1) analyses of the stock-market reaction to the Fed’s ruling and to TPS filings and 2) comparisons of BHCs that issued TPS with those that did not. We conclude that regulatory capital requirements, tax savings, and uninsured sources of funds can have significant positive effects on BHCs’ demand for capital; growth and investment opportunities have an inconclusive effect; and transaction costs have a negative effect. Our results are not consistent with the moral-hazard hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.frbatlanta.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Irvine & James Rosenfeld, 2000. "Raising Capital Using Monthly Income Preferred Stock: Market Reaction and Implications for Capital Structure Theory," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 29(2), Summer.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Hanweck, Gerald A, 1988.
"Bank Insolvency Risk and the Market for Large Certificates of Deposit,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(2), pages 203-11, May.
- Timothy H. Hannan & Gerald A. Hanweck, 1986. "Bank insolvency risk and the market for large certificates of deposit," Working Papers in Banking, Finance and Microeconomics 86-1, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Merton, Robert C, 1978.
"On the Cost of Deposit Insurance When There Are Surveillance Costs,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 439-52, July.
- Merton, Robert C., 1977. "On the cost of deposit insurance when there are surveillance costs," Working papers 903-77., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Eckbo, B Espen & Maksimovic, Vojislav & Williams, Joseph, 1990. "Consistent Estimation of Cross-Sectional Models in Event Studies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(3), pages 343-65.
- Flannery, Mark J, 1994.
"Debt Maturity and the Deadweight Cost of Leverage: Optimally Financing Banking Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 320-31, March.
- Mark J. Flannery, 1991. "Debt maturity and the deadweight cost of leverage: optimally financing banking firms," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Greene, William H, 1981. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error: Comment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 795-98, May.
- Jones, David, 2000. "Emerging problems with the Basel Capital Accord: Regulatory capital arbitrage and related issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 35-58, January.
- Demsetz, Rebecca S & Strahan, Philip E, 1997. "Diversification, Size, and Risk at Bank Holding Companies," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 300-313, August.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Miller, Merton H., 1995. "Do the M & M propositions apply to banks?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 483-489, June.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 1995.
"An Adverse Selection Model of Bank Asset and Liability Management with Implications for the Transmission of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
5217, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 1998. "An Adverse-Selection Model of Bank Asset and Liability Management with Implications for the Transmission of Monetary Policy," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(3), pages 466-486, Autumn.
- Larry D. Wall, 1989.
"Valuation effects of new capital issues by large bank holding companies,"
231, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Larry D. Wall & Pamela P. Peterson, 1988. "Valuation effects of new capital issues by large bank holding companies," Working Paper 88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Houston, Joel & James, Christopher & Marcus, David, 1997. "Capital market frictions and the role of internal capital markets in banking," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 135-164, November.
- Prabhala, N R, 1997. "Conditional Methods in Event Studies and an Equilibrium Justification for Standard Event-Study Procedures," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(1), pages 1-38.
- Flannery, Mark J, 1998. "Using Market Information in Prudential Bank Supervision: A Review of the U.S. Empirical Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(3), pages 273-305, August.
- Black, Fischer & Miller, Merton H & Posner, Richard A, 1978. "An Approach to the Regulation of Bank Holding Companies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 379-412, July.
- Arun Khanna & John J. McConnell, 1998. "MIPS, QUIPS AND TOPrS: OLD WINE IN NEW BOTTLES," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 11(1), pages 39-44.
- George J. Benston & George G. Kaufman, 1988. "Risk and solvency regulation of depository institutions: past policies and current options," Staff Memoranda 88-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Buser, Stephen A & Chen, Andrew H & Kane, Edward J, 1981. "Federal Deposit Insurance, Regulatory Policy, and Optimal Bank Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 51-60, March.
- Michael C. Keeley, 1989. "The stock price effects of bank holding company securities issuance," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Win, pages 3-19.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedawp:2000-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Meredith Rector)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.