Forecasting electricity load demand: analysis of the 2001 rationing period in Brazil
This paper studies the electricity load demand behavior during the 2001 rationing period, which was implemented because of the Brazilian energetic crisis. The hourly data refers to a utility situated in the southeast of the country. We use the model proposed by Soares and Souza (2003), making use of generalized long memory to model the seasonal behavior of the load. The rationing period is shown to have imposed a structural break in the series, decreasing the load at about 20%. Even so, the forecast accuracy is decreased only marginally, and the forecasts rapidly readapt to the new situation. The forecast errors from this model also permit verifying the public response to pieces of information released regarding the crisis.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Praia de Botafogo 190, sala 1100, Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22253-900|
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Josu Arteche & Peter M. Robinson, 1998. "Seasonal and cyclical long memory," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2241, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ramanathan, Ramu & Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive W. J. & Vahid-Araghi, Farshid & Brace, Casey, 1997. "Shorte-run forecasts of electricity loads and peaks," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 161-174, June.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9927 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ferrara, Laurent & Guegan, Dominique, 2001.
"Forecasting with k-Factor Gegenbauer Processes: Theory and Applications,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(8), pages 581-601, December.
- Laurent Ferrara & Dominique Guegan, 2001. "Forecasting with k-factor Gegenbauer Processes: Theory and Applications," Post-Print halshs-00193667, HAL.
- Soares, Lacir Jorge & Souza, Leonardo Rocha, 2006. "Forecasting electricity demand using generalized long memory," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 17-28.
- Soares, Lacir Jorge & Souza, Leonardo Rocha, 2003. "Forecasting electricity demand using generalized long memory," FGV/EPGE Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 486, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Darbellay, Georges A. & Slama, Marek, 2000. "Forecasting the short-term demand for electricity: Do neural networks stand a better chance?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 71-83.
- Ray, Bonnie K., 1993. "Long-range forecasting of IBM product revenues using a seasonal fractionally differenced ARMA model," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 255-269, August.
- Laurent Ferrara & Dominique Guegan, 1999. "Estimation and Applications of Gegenbauer Processes," Working Papers 99-27, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Armstrong, J. Scott & Collopy, Fred, 1992. "Error measures for generalizing about forecasting methods: Empirical comparisons," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 69-80, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fgv:epgewp:491. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da FGV/EPGE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.