Tax Treatment of Dividends and Capital Gains and the Dividend Decision Under Dual Income Tax
The paper analyses efficiency aspects of a dual income tax system with a higher tax on capital gains than dividends. It argues that apart from the distortions to investments claimed in earlier literature, the system puts even more emphasis in creating incentives for entrepreneurs to participate in tax planning. The paper suggests that the owner of a closely held company can avoid all personal taxes on entrepreneurial income by two tax-planning strategies. The first is the avoidance of distributions, which would be taxed at the tax rate on labour income. These funds would instead be invested in the financial markets. The second strategy is a distribute-and-call-back policy, converting retained profits into new equity capital. Interestingly, the outcome is that investment in real capital is not distorted in the long-run equilibrium. Empirical evidence using micro data is also provided.
|Date of creation:||05 Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chetty, Raj & Saez, Emmanuel, 2004.
"Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behaviour: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4722, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2005. "Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behavior: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(3), pages 791-833.
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2004. "Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behavior: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," NBER Working Papers 10841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tobias Lindhe & Jan Södersten & Ann Öberg, 2004. "Economic Effects of Taxing Different Organizational Forms under the Nordic Dual Income Tax," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 11(4), pages 469-485, 08.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1990.
"The Vanishing Harberger Triangle,"
NBER Working Papers
3225, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cnossen, Sijbren (ed.), 2000. "Taxing Capital Income in the European Union: Issues and Options for Reform," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198297833, December.
- Vidar Christiansen, 2004. "Norwegian Income Tax Reforms," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(3), pages 09-14, October.
- Erik Fjaerli & Diderik Lund, 2001. "The choice between owner's wages and dividends under the dual income tax," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 104-119, Autumn.
- Lindhe, T. & Sodersten, J. & Oberg, A., 2001.
"Economic Effects of Taxing Closed Corporations under a Dual Income Tax,"
2001:16, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Lindhe, Tobias & Södersten, Jan & Öberg, Ann, 2001. "Economic Effects of Taxing Closed Corporations under a Dual Income Tax," Working Paper Series 2001:16, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Roger Gordon & Martin Dietz, 2006. "Dividends and Taxes," NBER Working Papers 12292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1979.
"Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 433-446.
- Seppo Kari & Vesa Kanniainen & Jouko Ylä-Liedenpohja, 2007.
"Nordic Dual Income Taxation of Entrepreneurs,"
415, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Annette Alstadsæter, 2003. "The Dual Income Tax and Firms' Income Shifting through the Choice of Organizational Form and Real Capital Investments," CESifo Working Paper Series 1018, CESifo Group Munich.
- Peter Sørensen, 2005. "Neutral Taxation of Shareholder Income," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 12(6), pages 777-801, November.
- Roger H. Gordon & Joel Slemrod, 1998. "Are "Real" Responses to Taxes Simply Income Shifting Between Corporate and Personal Tax Bases?," NBER Working Papers 6576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Seppo Kari, 1999. "Dynamic Behaviour of the Firm Under Dual Income Taxation," Research Reports 51, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:dpaper:416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.