Distortive Effects of Dividend Taxation
This paper examines how the distortions caused by dividend taxation depend on whether or not shareholders can recover their original equity injections without being subject to the dividend tax. We point out the alternative assumptions in the literature on this, and we compare two different tax regimes, one where it is impossible for the firm to pay cash to its shareholders that is not taxed as dividends, the other where the shareholders are allowed a tax-free return of the original capital contributed through new issues. Our analysis shows that the regimes imply a substantial difference to our perceptions of the distortive effects of dividend taxation.
|Date of creation:||02 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Korinek, Anton & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2009.
"Dividend taxation and intertemporal tax arbitrage,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(1-2), pages 142-159, February.
- Brys, B. & Bovenberg, A.L., 2006. "The Life Cycle of the Firm with Debt and Capital Income Taxes," Discussion Paper 2006-91, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bradford, David F., 1981.
"The incidence and allocation effects of a tax on corporate distributions,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-22, February.
- David F. Bradford, 1979. "The Incidence and Allocation Effects of a Tax on Corporate Distributions," NBER Working Papers 0349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1983.
"Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 905-40, September.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1982. "Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital," NBER Working Papers 1026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1991.
"The vanishing harberger triangle,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19842, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1979.
"Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 433-46, August.
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2007. "An Agency Theory of Dividend Taxation," NBER Working Papers 13538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Sørensen, 2005. "Neutral Taxation of Shareholder Income," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(6), pages 777-801, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:uufswp:2013_009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.