The Norwegian shareholder tax reconsidered
In an article in International Tax and Public Finance, Peter Birch Sørensen (2005) gives an in-depth account of the new Norwegian Shareholder Tax, which allows the shareholders a deduction for an imputed risk-free rate of return. Sørensen’s positive evaluation appears as reasonable for a closed economy where the deduction for the imputed return is capitalized into the market prices of corporate shares. We show that in a small open economy where no capitalization occurs, the Norwegian shareholder tax is likely to leave the distortions caused by the corporate income tax unaffected, and to add new distortions to shareholders’ portfolio decisions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan A. Auerbach & David F. Bradford, 2001.
"Generalized Cash Flow Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
8122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Auerbach & David Bradford, 2001. "Generalized Cash Flow Taxation," CESifo Working Paper Series 425, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alan J. Auerbach & David F. Bradford, 2001. "Generalized Cash Flow Taxation," Working Papers 131, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1964. "Tax Deductibility of Economic Depreciation to Insure Invariant Valuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 604.
- Mikael Apel & Jan Södersten, 1999. "Personal Taxation and Investment Incentives in a Small Open Economy," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 79-88, February.
- Stephen R Bond & Michael P Devereux & Alexander Klemm, 2007.
"The Effects of Dividend Taxes on Equity Prices: A Re-examination of the 1997 UK Tax Reform,"
0701, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Stephen Bond & Alexander Klemm & Michael B. Devereux, 2007. "The Effects of Dividend Taxes on Equity Prices; A Re-examination of the 1997 U.K. Tax Reform," IMF Working Papers 07/204, International Monetary Fund.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1991.
"Retrospective Capital Gains Taxation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 167-78, March.
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce, 1988.
"Problems with Integrating Corporate and Personal Income Taxes in an Open Economy,"
735, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Boadway, Robin & Bruce, Neil, 1992. "Problems with integrating corporate and personal income taxes in an open economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 39-66, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:itaxpf:v:19:y:2012:i:3:p:424-441. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.