Assessing the interest rate and bank lending channels of ECB monetary policies
This paper assesses the transmission of ECB monetary policies, conventional and unconventional, to both interest rates and lending volumes for the money market, sovereign bonds at 6 month, 5ear and 10 year horizons, loans inferior and superior to 1M€ to non financial corporations, cash and housing loans to households, and deposits, during the financial crisis and in the four largest economies of the Euro Area. We first identify two series of ECB policy shocks at the euro area aggregated level and then include them in country specific structural VAR.The main result is that only the pass through from the ECB rate to interest rates has been really effective, consistently with the existing literature, while the transmission mechanism of the ECB rate to volumes and of quantitative easing (QE) operations to interest rates and volumes has been null or uneven over this sample. One argument to explain the differentiated pass through of ECB monetary policies is that the successful pass through from the ECB rate to interest rates, which materialized as a huge decrease in interest rates during the sample period, had a negative effect on the supply side of loans, and offset itself its potential positive effects on lending volumes
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 44 18 54 00
Fax: 01 45 56 06 15
Web page: http://www.ofce.sciences-po.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben Bernanke, 1990.
"The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission,"
NBER Working Papers
3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-21, September.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989. "The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission," Working Papers 89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Yannis Panagopoulos & Ioanna Reziti & Aristotelis Spiliotis, 2010. "Monetary and banking policy transmission through interest rates: an empirical application to the USA, Canada, the UK and the Eurozone," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 119-136.
- Refet S. G�rkaynak & Jonathan H. Wright, 2012.
"Macroeconomics and the Term Structure,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 50(2), pages 331-67, June.
- Belke, Ansgar & Beckmann, Joscha & Verheyen, Florian, 2012.
"Interest Rate Pass-Through in the EMU – New Evidence from Nonlinear Cointegration Techniques for Fully Harmonized Data,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
350, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI), Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Belke, Ansgar & Beckmann, Joscha & Verheyen, Florian, 2013. "Interest rate pass-through in the EMU – New evidence from nonlinear cointegration techniques for fully harmonized data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 1-24.
- Ansgar Belke & Joscha Beckmann & Florian Verheyen, 2012. "Interest Rate Pass-through in the EMU: New Evidence from Nonlinear Cointegration Techniques for Fully Harmonized Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1223, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ansgar Belke & Joscha Beckmann & Florian Verheyen, 2012. "Interest Rate Pass-Through in the EMU – New Evidence from Nonlinear Cointegration Techniques for Fully Harmonized Data," ROME Working Papers 201203, ROME Network.
- Warren B. Hrung & Jason S. Seligman, 2011. "Responses to the financial crisis, treasury debt, and the impact on short-term money markets," Staff Reports 481, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Eric Sims & Ruediger Bachmann, 2011.
"Confidence and the Transmission of Government Spending Shocks,"
2011 Meeting Papers
83, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bachmann, Rüdiger & Sims, Eric R., 2012. "Confidence and the transmission of government spending shocks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 235-249.
- Rüdiger Bachmann & Eric R. Sims, 2011. "Confidence and the Transmission of Government Spending Shocks," NBER Working Papers 17063, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Augustin Landier & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2013.
"Banks' Exposure to Interest Rate Risk and The Transmission of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
18857, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Landier, Augustin & Sraer, David & Thesmar, David, 2013. "Banks Exposure to Interest Rate Risk and The Transmission of Monetary Policy," TSE Working Papers 13-438, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Landier, Augustin & Sraer, David & Thesmar, David, 2013. "Banks Exposure to Interest Rate Risk and The Transmission of Monetary Policy," IDEI Working Papers 800, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Marie Donnay & Hans Degryse, 2001. "Bank Lending Rate Pass-Through and Differences in the Transmission of a Single EMU Monetary Policy," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0117, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Michael J. Fleming & Warren B. Hrung & Frank M. Keane, 2010.
"Repo Market Effects of the Term Securities Lending Facility,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 591-96, May.
- Michael J. Fleming & Warren B. Hrung & Frank M. Keane, 2010. "Repo market effects of the Term Securities Lending Facility," Staff Reports 426, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- N. Cordemans & M. de Sola Perea, 2011. "Central bank rates, market rates and retail bank rates in the euro area in the context of the recent crisis," Economic Review, National Bank of Belgium, issue I, pages 27-52, June.
- Johannes C. Stroebel & John B. Taylor, 2009. "Estimated Impact of the Fed's Mortgage-Backed Securities Purchase Program," NBER Working Papers 15626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Vincent R. Reinhart & Brian P. Sack, 2004.
"Monetary policy alternatives at the zero bound: an empirical assessment,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-48, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ben S. Bernanke & Vincent R. Reinhart & Brian P. Sack, 2004. "Monetary Policy Alternatives at the Zero Bound: An Empirical Assessment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 35(2), pages 1-100.
- David ARISTEI & Manuela Gallo, 2012.
"Interest Rate Pass-Through in the Euro Area during the Financial Crisis: a Multivariate Regime-Switching Approach,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
107/2012, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Aristei, David & Gallo, Manuela, 2014. "Interest rate pass-through in the Euro area during the financial crisis: A multivariate regime-switching approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 273-295.
- Beirne, John & Dalitz, Lars & Ejsing, Jacob & Grothe, Magdalena & Manganelli, Simone & Monar, Fernando & Sahel, Benjamin & Sušec, Matjaž & Tapking, Jens & Vong, Tana, 2011. "The impact of the Eurosystem's covered bond purchase programme on the primary and secondary markets," Occasional Paper Series 122, European Central Bank.
- Lenza, Michele & Pill, Huw & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2010.
"Monetary policy in exceptional times,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7669, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Santis, Roberto A. & Surico, Paolo, 2013.
"Bank lending and monetary transmission in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1568, European Central Bank.
- Roberto A. Santis & Paolo Surico, 2013. "Bank lending and monetary transmission in the euro area," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 28(75), pages 423-457, 07.
- Gabe J. de Bondt, 2005. "Interest Rate Pass-Through: Empirical Results for the Euro Area," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(1), pages 37-78, 02.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2006. "Expected versus unexpected monetary policy impulses and interest rate pass-through in euro-zone retail banking markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1839-1870, July.
- Christophe Blot & Fabien Labondance, 2013. "Business lending rate pass-through in the Eurozone: monetary policy transmission before and after the financial crash," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 973-985.
- Abbassi, Puriya & Linzert, Tobias, 2011. "The effectiveness of monetary policy in steering money market rates during the recent financial crisis," Working Paper Series 1328, European Central Bank.
- Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marques-Ibanez, 2011.
"The bank lending channel: lessons from the crisis,"
BIS Working Papers
345, Bank for International Settlements.
- Darracq Pariès, Matthieu & De Santis, Roberto A., 2013. "A non-standard monetary policy shock: the ECB’s 3-year LTROs and the shift in credit supply," Working Paper Series 1508, European Central Bank.
- Karagiannis, Stelios & Panagopoulos, Yannis & Vlamis, Prodromos, 2010. "Interest rate pass-through in Europe and the US: Monetary policy after the financial crisis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 323-338, May.
- Emilia Bonaccorsi di Patti & Enrico Sette, 2012. "Bank balance sheets and the transmission of financial shocks to borrowers: evidence from the 2007-2008 crisis," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 848, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fce:doctra:1325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.