Empirical Analysis of Agglomeration Economies in Japanese Assembly-type Manufacturing Industry for 1985-2000: Using a flexible translog production function
For Japan's assembly-type manufacturing industry which is composed of general machinery, electrical machinery, equipment and suppliers, and transportation equipment for 1985-2000, we estimate flexible translog production function based on Kim (1992) and Tokunaga and Kageyama (2008) using four-digit standard industrial classification (SIC) industry panel data and Ellison and Glaeser's (1997) agglomeration and co-agglomeration indices (with different industry groups) panel data, and obtain theoretically appropriate and significant results without the homotheticity restriction. From these results, we find evidence of positive and weak agglomeration economies on production in Japanese assembly-type manufacturing industry for 1985-2000.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nakamura, Ryohei, 1985. "Agglomeration economies in urban manufacturing industries: A case of Japanese cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 108-124, January.
- NAKAJIMA Kentaro & SAITO Yukiko & UESUGI Iichiro, 2010.
"Measuring Economic Localization: Evidence from Japanese firm-level data,"
10030, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Nakajima, Kentaro & Saito, Yukiko Umeno & Uesugi, Iichiro, 2012. "Measuring economic localization: Evidence from Japanese firm-level data," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 201-220.
- Nakajima, Kentaro & Saito, Yukiko Umeno & Uesugi, Iichiro, 2011. "Measuring Economic Localization: Evidence from Japanese Firm-level Data," Working Paper Series 10, Center for Interfirm Network, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kim, H Youn, 1992. "The Translog Production Function and Variable Returns to Scale," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 546-52, August.
- Chan, M W Luke & Mountain, Dean C, 1983. "Economies of Scale and the Tornqvist Discrete Measure of Productivity Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(4), pages 663-67, November.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Feser, Edward J., 2001. "A flexible test for agglomeration economies in two US manufacturing industries," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-19, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:12082. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.