Can Firm Clusters Foster Non-Farm Jobs? Policy Issues for Rural India
The present paper argues that a comprehensive rural industrialisation/cluster development strategy has to be designed within a broader regional development perspective that does not fail to include employment generation as a, if not the, critical dimension.A mechanistic, replicative and essentially ad hoc approach to cluster development that is oblivious to the developmental constraints facing the Indian rural economy may fail to succeed in generating employment opportunities as also in creating a competitive and sustainable rural industrial base.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keshab Das, 2001. "Issues in Promoting Rural Infrastructure in India," Documents de travail 67, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Zlatan Frohlich & Sanja Malekovic & Mario Polic, 1998. "Role of small and medium sized enterprises in the regional development of Croatia," ERSA conference papers ersa98p175, European Regional Science Association.
- Bar-el, Raphael, 1984. "Rural industrialization objectives: The income-employment conflict," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 129-140, February.
- Lewis, John P., 1976. "The new economics of growth: A strategy for India and the developing world : John W. Mellor a twentieth century fund study (Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, 1976) pp. xv+335," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 390-393, December.
- Anderson, Dennis, 1982. "Small industry in developing countries: A discussion of issues," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(11), pages 913-948, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:381. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.