Analyzing Industrial Water Demand in India: An Input Distance Function Approach
This study investigates the water demand of Indian manufacturing plants. It adopts an input distance function approach and approximates it by a translog form. Duality between cost function and input distance function is exploited to retrieve information concerning substitutability and the shadow price of water. The model is estimated, using linear programming approach, on a sample of 92 firms over the three years.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diane Dupont & Steven Renzetti, 2001. "The Role of Water in Manufacturing," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(4), pages 411-432, April.
- Arnaud Reynaud, 2003. "An Econometric Estimation of Industrial Water Demand in France," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(2), pages 213-232, June.
- Wang, Hua & Lall, Somik, 1999. "Valuing water for Chinese industries : a marginal productivity assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2236, The World Bank.
- Arbues, Fernando & Garcia-Valinas, Maria Angeles & Martinez-Espineira, Roberto, 2003. "Estimation of residential water demand: a state-of-the-art review," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Grosskopf, S. & Hayes, K. & Hirschberg, J., 1995. "Fiscal stress and the production of public safety: A distance function approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 277-296, June.
- Steven Renzetti, 1993. "Examining the Differences in Self- and Publicly Supplied Firms' Water Demands," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(2), pages 181-188.
- Hua Wang & Somik Lall, 2002. "Valuing water for Chinese industries: a marginal productivity analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 759-765.
- Steven Renzetti, 1992. "Estimating the Structure of Industrial Water Demands: The Case of Canadian Manufacturing," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(4), pages 396-404.
- Bishwanath Goldar & Rita Pandey, 2001. "Water pricing and abatement of industrial water pollution: study of distilleries in India," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Springer;Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 4(2), pages 95-113, June.
- Varela-Ortega, Consuelo & Sumpsi, Jose M. & Garrido, Alberto & Blanco, Maria & Iglesias, Eva, 1998.
"Water pricing policies, public decision making and farmers' response: implications for water policy,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(1-2), September.
- Varela-Ortega, Consuelo & M. Sumpsi, Jose & Garrido, Alberto & Blanco, Maria & Iglesias, Eva, 1998. "Water pricing policies, public decision making and farmers' response: implications for water policy," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 193-202, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.