Assessing the Impact of Environmental Regulation on Industrial Water Use: Evidence From Brazil
This paper aims at characterizing water demand by Brazilian manufacturing plantslocated in São Paulo and at assessing the potential impacts of environmental policieson industrial water use. We first show that the price elasticity of the water demand,-1.0 on average, is high enough for a water charge to act as an effective policy tool forreducing water consumption. Results also provide some evidence of a tradeoffbetween water quality improvement and water conservation policies, since morestringent environmental standards may lead to a higher water demand. A joint use ofenvironmental norms and water charges may reconcile both policy goals.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: SBS - Quadra 01 - Bloco J - Ed. BNDES, Brasília, DF - 70076-90|
Web page: http://www.ipea.gov.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Diane Dupont & Steven Renzetti, 2001. "The Role of Water in Manufacturing," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(4), pages 411-432, April.
- Wang, Hua & Lall, Somik, 1999. "Valuing water for Chinese industries : a marginal productivity assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2236, The World Bank.
- Kumar, Surender, 2004.
"Analysing industrial water demand in India: An input distance function approach,"
04/12, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Surender Kumar, 2009. "Analyzing Industrial Water Demand in India: An Input Distance Function Approach," Working Papers id:2178, eSocialSciences.
- Arnaud Reynaud, 2003. "An Econometric Estimation of Industrial Water Demand in France," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(2), pages 213-232, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipe:ipetds:1079. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Schiavinatto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.