Development of What? An Exposition of the Politics of Development Economics
The present paper aims at driving home a hitherto-neglected and perhaps often muted (but important) point, namely, that the confusions and identity crisis that had gripped development economics in the 1980s. This was mainly due to its perennial vulnerability, unlike other branches of economics, to the ideological stakes over the cold war at the global level.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ha-Joon Chang, 2002. "Breaking the mould: an institutionalist political economy alternative to the neo-liberal theory of the market and the state," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(5), pages 539-559, September.
- Bugos, Glenn E., 1993. "The Cold War and American Science: The Military-Industrial-Academic Complex at MIT and Stanford. By Stuart W. Leslie. New York: Columbia University Press, 1993. Pp. xiii, 332. $42.00," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 53(04), pages 968-969, December.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1988.
"Industrialization and the Big Push,"
NBER Working Papers
2708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gavin, Michael & Rodrik, Dani, 1995. "The World Bank in Historical Perspective," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 329-34, May.
- Stern, Nicholas, 1989. "The Economics of Development: A Survey," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 597-685, September.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1986. "Aid in the Development Process," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 57-78, January.
- Britto, Ronald, 1973. "Some Recent Developments in the Theory of Economic Growth: An Interpretation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 1343-66, December.
- Michael Tribe & Andrew Sumner, 2006. "Development economics at a crossroads? Introduction to a policy arena," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(7), pages 957-966.
- Patrick O'Brien, 1982. "European Economic Development: The Contribution of the Periphery," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 35(1), pages 1-18, 02.
- Stiglitz, J.E., 1988.
"Economic Organization, Information And Development,"
21, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1988. "Economic organization, information, and development," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5, pages 93-160 Elsevier.
- Kanbur, Ravi, .
"Economics, Social Science and Development,"
127666, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Edward P. Lazear, 2000.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 115(1), pages 99-146, February.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 1988. "Alternative approaches to development economics," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 39-71 Elsevier.
- Healey, Derek T, 1972. "Development Policy: New Thinking About an Interpretation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 10(3), pages 757-97, September.
- Arndt, H W, 1981. "Economic Development: A Semantic History," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(3), pages 457-66, April.
- Yifu Lin, Justin & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 1995. "Institutions and economic development," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 38, pages 2301-2370 Elsevier.
- Greif, Avner, 1992. "Institutions and International Trade: Lessons from the Commercial Revolution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 128-33, May.
- Sen, Amartya, 1981. "Public Action and the Quality of Life in Developing Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 43(4), pages 287-319, November.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Balassa, Bela, 1988. "The Lessons of East Asian Development: An Overview," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(3), pages S273-90, Supplemen.
- Brousseau, Eric & Glachant, Jean-Michel, 2002. "The economics of contracts: Theories and applications," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12331, Paris Dauphine University.
- Thorbecke, Erik, 2006. "The Evolution of the Development Doctrine, 1950-2005," Working Paper Series RP2006/155, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Griffin, Keith & Gurley, John, 1985. "Radical Analyses of Imperialism, the Third World, and the Transition to Socialism: A Survey Article," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 1089-1143, September.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V. & Duflo, Esther, 2005. "Growth Theory through the Lens of Development Economics," Handbook of Economic Growth, in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 473-552 Elsevier.
- Emmerij, Louis, 2006. "Turning Points in Development Thinking and Practice," Working Paper Series RP2006/08, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Fine, Ben, 2000. "Endogenous Growth Theory: A Critical Assessment," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(2), pages 245-65, March.
- Sen, Amartya, 1984. "The Living Standard," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(0), pages 74-90, Supplemen.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1980. "Nobel Lecture: The Economics of Being Poor," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(4), pages 639-51, August.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1997. "Trade Liberalization Reforms and the World Bank," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 43-48, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:1819. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.