Rising Inequality With High Growth Isn't This Trend Worrisome? Analysis of Kerala Experience
The relation between growth, inequality and poverty is the central theme of the paper. While the fast economic growth under the neo-liberal policy regime helps reduce poverty, it increases inequality in income distribution in a way that retards the progress in poverty-reduction. The empirical validity of this proposition is examined by tracing trends in per capita income (NSDP) growth and Gini coefficients, estimated from the data on household consumer expenditure (taken as a proxy for income) of NSS surveys, in Kerala as compared to the pattern at all- India and major states during pre and post reform periods. [WP no. 401]
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravallion, M. & Datt, G., 1991. "Growth and Redistribution Components of Changes in Poverty Measures," Papers 83, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Angus Deaton and Jean Drèze & Jean Drèze, 2002.
"Poverty and Inequality in India: A Reexamination,"
107, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- L. R. Jain & Suresh D. Tendulkar, 1990. "Role of Growth and Distribution in the Observed Change in Headcount Ratio Measure of Poverty: A Decomposition Exercise for India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 25(2), pages 165-205, July.
- repec:pri:rpdevs:deaton_dreze_poverty_india is not listed on IDEAS
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- K.C. Zachariah & S. Irudaya Rajan, 2004. "Gulf revisited: Economic consequences of emigration from Kerala, emigration and unemployment," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 363, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Deininger, K & Squire, L, 1996. "Measuring Income Inequality : A New Data-Base," Papers 537, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:1652. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.