Changing Comparative Advantages
This paper inspects how comparative advantages have changed in the last 30 years. Using trade data on 197 countries over the period 1976- 2004, it provides evidence that comparative advantages are not static, but change over time. More interestingly, it shows the rise in relevance of institutional comparative advantage. Finally, it shows that this results does not hold for some countries (BRIC).
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||DYNREG Research Project – Dynamic Regions in a Knowledge-Driven Global Economy: Lessons and Policy Implications for the European Union|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ieEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Wayne Gray, 1996. "The NBER Manufacturing Productivity Database," NBER Technical Working Papers 0205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nunn, Nathan, 2007.
"Relationship-Specificity, Incomplete Contracts, and the Pattern of Trade,"
4686801, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Nathan Nunn, 2007. "Relationship-Specificity, Incomplete Contracts, and the Pattern of Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(2), pages 569-600, 05.
- Nathan Nunn, 2005. "Relationship Specificity, Incomplete Contracts and the Pattern of Trade," International Trade 0512018, EconWPA.
- John Romalis, 2004. "Factor Proportions and the Structure of Commodity Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 67-97, March.
- James E. Rauch, 1996.
"Networks versus Markets in International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
5617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Werner Antweiler & Daniel Trefler, 2000.
"Increasing Returns and All That: A View From Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
7941, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Werner Antweiler & Daniel Trefler, 2002. "Increasing Returns and All That: A View from Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 93-119, March.
- Andrei A. Levchenko, 2007.
"Institutional Quality and International Trade,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(3), pages 791-819.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005.
"The log of gravity,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2007. "Trade, Production, and Protection Database, 1976--2004," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(1), pages 165-171.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:dynreg21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.