Rational Speculative Bubbles: An Empirical Investigation of the Middle East and North African (MENA) Stock Markets
Despite recent extreme fluctuations of Middle East and North African (MENA) stock markets, we do not find strong evidence of rational speculative bubbles from the perspective of both domestic and U.S-based investors. Fractional integration tests built on ARFIMA models do not support the possibility of bubbles in MENA stock markets. Similarly, duration dependence tests based on nonparametric Nelson-Aalen hazard functions not only reject the existence of bubbles but also support equality of hazard functions between domestic and U.S-based investors without regard to the rapid financial liberalization and integration in the MENA stock markets.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:||01 Jan 2008|
|Publication status:||Published by The Economic Research Forum (ERF)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 21 Al-Sad Al Aaly St. Dokki, Giza|
Web page: http://www.erf.org.eg
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kirman, Alan & Teyssiere, Gilles, 2005. "Testing for bubbles and change-points," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 765-799, April.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean, 1979. "Speculative bubbles, crashes and rational expectations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-389.
- Chen, Nan-Kuang, 2001. "Asset price fluctuations in Taiwan: evidence from stock and real estate prices 1973 to 1992," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 215-232.
- McQueen, Grant & Thorley, Steven, 1994. "Bubbles, Stock Returns, and Duration Dependence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(03), pages 379-401, September.
- Chan, Hing Lin & Lee, Shu Kam & Woo, Kai-Yin, 2003. "An empirical investigation of price and exchange rate bubbles during the interwar European hyperinflations," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 327-344.
- Tudela, Merxe, 2004.
"Explaining currency crises: a duration model approach,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 799-816, September.
- M M Tudela, 2001. "Explaining Currency Crises: A Duration Model Approach," CEP Discussion Papers dp0487, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Chris Brooks & Apostolos Katsaris, 2003. "Rational Speculative Bubbles: An Empirical Investigation of the London Stock Exchange," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 319-346, October.
- A. Colin Cameron & Anthony D. Hall, 2003. "A Survival Analysis of Australian Equity Mutual Funds," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 28(2), pages 209-226, September.
- A. Colin Cameron & Anthony D. Hall, 2003. "A Survival Analysis of Australian Equity Mutual Funds," Research Paper Series 94, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Cunado, J. & Gil-Alana, L.A. & de Gracia, F. Perez, 2005. "A test for rational bubbles in the NASDAQ stock index: A fractionally integrated approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2633-2654, October.
- Cochran, Steven J. & DeFina, Robert H., 1996. "Predictability in real exchange rates: Evidence from parametric hazard models," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 125-147.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Peel, David A., 1998. "Periodically collapsing stock price bubbles: a robust test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 221-228, November.
- Koustas, Zisimos & Serletis, Apostolos, 2005. "Rational bubbles or persistent deviations from market fundamentals?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2523-2539, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erg:wpaper:388. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sherine Ghoneim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.