A Proper Yield Curve for Greece to Kick-Start Financial Intermediation
At present, the market is severely mispricing Greece’s sovereign risk relative to the country’s fundamentals. As a result of the mispricing, financial intermediation in Greece has become dysfunctional and the privatisation of state-owned assets has stalled. This mispricing is partially due to an illiquid and fragmented government yield curve. A well-designed public liability management exercise can lead to a more efficient pricing of Greece’s government bonds and thereby help restore stable and affordable financing for the country’s private sector, which is imperative in order to overcome Greece’s deep recession. This paper proposes three measures to enhance the functioning of the Greek government debt market: i) Greece should issue a new five-year bond, ii) it should consolidate the 20 individual series of government bonds into four liquid securities and iii) it should offer investors a swap of these newly created bonds into dollar-denominated securities. Each of these measures would be beneficial to the Hellenic Republic, since the government would be able to reduce the face value and the net present value of its debt stock. Furthermore, this exercise would facilitate the resumption of market access, which is a necessary condition for continuous multilateral disbursements to Greece.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place du Congrès, B-1000 Bruxelles|
Phone: (+322) 229-39-11
Fax: (+322) 229-39-71
Web page: http://www.ceps.eu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Christoph Trebesch & Mitu Gulati, 2013.
"The Greek debt restructuring: an autopsy,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 28(75), pages 513-563, 07.
- Gulati, Mitu & Trebesch, Christoph & Zettelmeyer, Jeromin, 2013. "The Greek Debt Restructuring: An Autopsy," CEPR Discussion Papers 9577, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zettelmeyer, Jeromin & Trebesch, Christoph & Gulati, Mitu, 2013. "The Greek debt restructuring: An autopsy," Munich Reprints in Economics 20662, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Christoph Trebesch & Mitu Gulati, 2013. "The Greek Debt Restructuring: An Autopsy," Working Paper Series WP13-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Christoph Trebesch & Mitu Gulati, 2013. "The Greek Debt Restructuring: An Autopsy," CESifo Working Paper Series 4333, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eps:ecmiwp:8737. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margarita Minkova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.