Workforce or Workfare? The Optimal Use of Work Requirements when Labor is Supplied along the Extensive Margin
This paper explores the use of workfare as part of a tax mix when labor supply responses are along the extensive margin. In an economy where the government has a priori chosen any tax-and-bene?t schedule, we show that, despite their common goal of providing additional incentives for individuals to enter the labor force, workfare and an earned income tax credit are at odds with each other. In the presence of an optimal nonlinear income tax, we also show that introducing unproductive workfare is always suboptimal when individuals face the same disutility of being on workfare. In contrast, when this disutility is heterogeneous, unproductive workfare may be a useful policy tool. We also provide a su¢ cient condition for productive workfare to be optimal.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 33, boulevard du port - 95011 Cergy-Pontoise Cedex|
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kanbur, Ravi & Keen, Michael & Toumala, Matti, 1991.
"Optimal non-linear income taxation for the alleviation of income poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
616, The World Bank.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Keen, Michael & Tuomala, Matti, 1994. "Optimal non-linear income taxation for the alleviation of income-poverty," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 1613-1632, October.
- Kanbur, R. & Keen, M. & Tuomala, M., 1990. "Optimal Non-Linear Income Taxation for the Alleviation of Income Poverty," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 368, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ravi Kanbur & Michael Keen & Matti Tuomala, 1990. "Optimal Non-Linear Income Taxation for the Alleviation of Income Poverty," Working Papers 799, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Chone, Philippe & Laroque, Guy, 2005.
"Optimal incentives for labor force participation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(2-3), pages 395-425, February.
- Jacquet, Laurence & Lehmann, Etienne & Van der Linden, Bruno, 2010.
"Optimal Redistributive Taxation with Both Extensive and Intensive Responses,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4837, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jacquet, Laurence & Lehmann, Etienne & Van der Linden, Bruno, 2013. "Optimal redistributive taxation with both extensive and intensive responses," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(5), pages 1770-1805.
- Laurence JACQUET & Etienne LEHMANN & Bruno VAN DER LINDEN, 2010. "Optimal Redistributive Taxation with both Extensive and Intensive Responses," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2010033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Laurence Jacquet & Etienne Lehmann & Bruno Van der Linden, 2010. "Optimal Redistributive Taxation with both Extensive and Intensive Responses," CESifo Working Paper Series 3308, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jacquet, Laurence & Lehmann, Etienne & Van der Linden, Bruno, 2010. "Optimal Redistributive Taxation with both Extensive and Intensive Responses," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 7/2010, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Laurence Jacquet & Etienne Lehmann & Bruno Van Der Linden, 2010. "Optimal Redistributive Taxation with both Extensive and Intensive Responses," Working Papers 2010-15, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Brett, Craig, 1998. "Who Should Be on Workfare? The Use of Work Requirements as Part of an Optimal Tax Mix," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 607-22, October.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S., 1991.
"The Design Of Income Maintenance Programs,"
74, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - John M. Olin Program.
- Phillippe Choné & Guy Laroque, 2008.
"Optimal taxation in the extensive model,"
IFS Working Papers
W08/08, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Emmanuel Saez, 2002. "Optimal Income Transfer Programs: Intensive versus Extensive Labor Supply Responses," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(3), pages 1039-1073.
- Ahmad,Etisham & Stern,Nicholas, 1991.
"The Theory and Practice of Tax Reform in Developing Countries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521397421, November.
- Ahmad,Etisham & Stern,Nicholas, 1991. "The Theory and Practice of Tax Reform in Developing Countries," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521265638, November.
- Craig Brett, 2005. "Bunching, Time Constraints, and Workfare," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 7(1), pages 93-105, 02.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1992. "Workfare versus Welfare Incentive Arguments for Work Requirements in Poverty-Alleviation Programs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 249-61, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ema:worpap:2012-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Marcassa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.