Impacts of a Capacity Advantaged Bidder in Sequential Common Value Auctions: Evidence from the Laboratory
As bidders reach capacity throughout a sequential common value auction, theory predicts they will account for the option value of purchasing later units against fewer rivals. Mergers, joint purchasing arrangements, or a common bidding agent may result in a capacity advantaged bidder. Using laboratory experiments, we find that bidders account for the option value of winning later units when capacity constraints are significantly binding. Similar to the predictions of value advantaged bidder theory, the capacity advantaged bidder bids more aggressively, purchasing more units at lower prices than disadvantaged rivals. However, the creation of a capacity advantaged bidder transfers surplus to all bidders primarily due to the reduction in the number of bidders.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coatney, Kalyn T. & Tack, Jesse B., 2011. "Estimating the Value of Antitrust Investigations: A Case Study in Agriculture," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103548, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- repec:feb:artefa:0097 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maria L. Loureiro & Wendy J. Umberger & Susan Hine, 2003. "Testing the initial endowment effect in experimental auctions," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 271-275, April.
- Rose, Susan L. & Levin, Dan, 2008. "An experimental investigation of the explosive effect in almost common value auctions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(3-4), pages 927-946, September.
- Coatney, Kalyn T. & Shaffer, Sherrill L. & Menkhaus, Dale J., 2012. "Auction prices, market share, and a common agent," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 61-73.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1998. "Auctions with almost common values: The 'Wallet Game' and its applications," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 757-769, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:camaaa:2014-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.