On the correspondence between data revision and trend-cycle decomposition
This paper places the data revision model of Jacobs and van Norden (2011) within a class of trend-cycle decompositions relating directly to the Beveridge-Nelson decomposition. In both these approaches identifying restrictions on the covariance matrix under simple and realistic conditions may produce a smoothed estimate of the underlying series which is more volatile than the observed series.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morley, James C., 2002. "A state-space approach to calculating the Beveridge-Nelson decomposition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 123-127, March.
- Chin Nam Low & Heather Anderson & Ralph Snyder, 2004.
"Single Source of Error State Space Approach to the Beveridge Nelson Decomposition,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
242, Econometric Society.
- Anderson, Heather M. & Low, Chin Nam & Snyder, Ralph, 2006. "Single source of error state space approach to the Beveridge Nelson decomposition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 104-109, April.
- Heather M. Anderson & Chin Nam Low & Ralph Snyder, 2004. "Single Source of Error State Space Approach to the Beveridge Nelson Decomposition," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 21/04, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- James C. Morley & Charles R. Nelson & Eric Zivot, 2003.
"Why Are the Beveridge-Nelson and Unobserved-Components Decompositions of GDP So Different?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 235-243, May.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Morley-Nelson-Zivot state space decomposition," Statistical Software Components RTZ00115, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Beveridge, Stephen & Nelson, Charles R., 1981. "A new approach to decomposition of economic time series into permanent and transitory components with particular attention to measurement of the `business cycle'," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 151-174.
- Richard Stone & D. G. Champernowne & J. E. Meade, 1942. "The Precision of National Income Estimates," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 111-125.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2006. "Trend-Cycle Decompositions with Correlated Components," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(1), pages 61-84.
- Jacobs, Jan P.A.M. & van Norden, Simon, 2011. "Modeling data revisions: Measurement error and dynamics of "true" values," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 101-109, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:camaaa:2012-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.