A general formula for the WACC: A correction
This paper corrects some of the equations of Farber, Gillet and Szafarz (2006). The WACC is a discount rate widely used in corporate finance. However, correctly calculating the WACC involves properly calculating the value of tax shields, and the value of tax shields depends on the company's debt policy. Many authors [e.g. Inselbag and Kaufold (1997), Booth (2002), Cooper and Nyborg (2006), Farber, Gillet and Szafarz (2006)] have stated that debt policy can only be implemented by maintaining a fixed market-value debt ratio (Miles-Ezzell's assumption) or a fixed dollar amount of debt (Modigliani-Miller's assumption).
|Date of creation:||16 Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iese.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- André Farber & Roland Gillet & Ariane Szafarz, 2006.
"A general formula for the WACC,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6059, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Richard S Ruback, 2002. "Capital Cash Flows: A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Cash Flows," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
- Isik Inselbag & Howard Kaufold, 1997. "Two Dcf Approaches For Valuing Companies Under Alternative Financing Strategies (And How To Choose Between Them)," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 10(1), pages 114-122.
- Cooper, Ian A. & Nyborg, Kjell G., 2006.
"The value of tax shields IS equal to the present value of tax shields,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 215-225, July.
- Cooper, Ian & Nyborg, Kjell G, 2005. "The Value of Tax Shields IS Equal to the Present Value of Tax Shields," CEPR Discussion Papers 5182, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cooper, Ian A. & Nyborg, Kjell G., 2005. "The value of tax shields IS equal to the present value of tax shields," Discussion Papers 2005/14, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1974. "Interactions of Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions-Implications for Capital Budgeting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Miles, James A & Ezzell, John R, 1985. " Reformulating Tax Shield Valuation: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1485-92, December.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G. & Emery, Douglas R., 1986. "Corporate Debt Management and the Value of the Firm," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 415-426, December.
- Laurence Booth, 2002. "Finding Value Where None Exists: Pitfalls In Using Adjusted Present Value," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 15(1), pages 95-104.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:iesewp:d-0663. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noelia Romero)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.