Maintaining an Institution: the institutional work of Michelin in haute cuisine around the world
This paper aims at questioning how the maintenance of institutions is actually performed. Based on an institutional work perspective in order to better link field and actors relationships, we investigate how the Michelin Red guide went international and used its internationalization to secure its dominant position over the field of haute cuisine. Michelin followed similar trajectories, and combined various types of institutional work in geographic expansion, especially policing, valorizing and embedding that at the same time as it further assed its dominant position. Our research contributes to advancing the understanding of maintenance work, and in particular exemplifies that preserving a dominant position implies actively working towards imposing the symbolic and cognitive systems of rules
|Date of creation:||20 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.essec.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence J. White, 2010. "Markets: The Credit Rating Agencies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(2), pages 211-26, Spring.
- Huault, Isabelle & Rainelli, Hélène, 2010.
"A Market for Weather Risk ? Conflicting Metrics, Attempts at Compromise and Limits to Commensuration,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/8602, Paris Dauphine University.
- Huault, Isabelle & Rainelli, Hélène, 2011. "A Market for Weather Risk ? Conflicting Metrics, Attempts at Compromise and Limits to Commensuration," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7506, Paris Dauphine University.
- Isabelle Huault & Hélène Rainelli-Weiss, 2011. "A Market for Weather Risk ? Conflicting Metrics, Attempts at Compromise and Limits to Commensuration," Post-Print halshs-00637068, HAL.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1478 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:essewp:dr-13002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sophie Magnanou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.