Fiscal Policy Issues in Korea after the Current Crisis
This paper examines fiscal policy issues in the Republic of Korea (hereafter Korea) after the 2009 global financial crisis, including the timing of fiscal policy responses, the effectiveness of expansionary measures, and the long-term implications for government debt. In order to evaluate more accurately Koreas fiscal response since late 2008, this paper conducts an empirical analysis using historical data from Korea and other countries and derives stylized patterns on counter-cyclicality of fiscal policy and its role in the recovery process. The analysis suggests that Koreas fiscal stimulus in 2009, while having contributed greatly to the economys fast recovery, was unusually large compared with typical fiscal responses during economic downturns. This paper also investigates whether the rapid increase in Koreas fiscal debt burden is admissible in terms of long-term sustainability. Although existing evidence suggests that Koreas fiscal debt is still manageable, the sizeable deficit and the increasing trend in the debt to GDP ratio in recent years call for vigilance. The paper concludes with some suggestions for fiscal consolidation in Korea : a stricter practice of medium-term budget planning, expansion of automatic stabilizers and reduction of discretionary components, use of more comprehensive measures of government debt, and further reforms in the national pension system are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stijn Claessens & M. Ayhan Kose & Marco E. Terrones, 2009.
"What happens during recessions, crunches and busts?,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 653-700, October.
- Claessens, Stijn & Kose, Ayhan & Terrones, Marco E, 2008. "What Happens During Recessions, Crunches and Busts?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Terrones & M. Ayhan Kose & Stijn Claessens, 2008. "What Happens During Recessions, Crunches and Busts?," IMF Working Papers 08/274, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:126:y:2011:i:1:p:51-102 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mark W. Watson, 1992.
"Business cycle durations and postwar stabilization of the U.S. economy,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
92-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Watson, Mark W, 1994. "Business-Cycle Durations and Postwar Stabilization of the U.S. Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 24-46, March.
- Mark W. Watson, 1992. "Business Cycle Durations and Postwar Stabilization of the U.S. Economy," NBER Working Papers 4005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerhard Bry & Charlotte Boschan, 1971. "Foreword to "Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs"," NBER Chapters, in: Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs, pages -1 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerhard Bry & Charlotte Boschan, 1971. "Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bry_71-1, December.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000.
"Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1164, Econometric Society.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002. "Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Hong, Kiseok & Lee, Jong-Wha & Tang, Hsiao Chink, 2009.
"Crises in Asia: Historical Perspectives and Implications,"
ADB Economics Working Paper Series
152, Asian Development Bank.
- Hong, Kiseok & Lee, Jong-Wha & Tang, Hsiao Chink, 2010. "Crises in Asia: Historical perspectives and implications," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 265-279, June.
- Young Lee & Changyong Rhee & Taeyoon Sung, 2006. "Fiscal policy in Korea: Before and after the financial crisis," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 509-531, August.
- Hong, Kiseok & Tang, Hsiao Chink, 2010. "Crises in Asia: Recovery and Policy Responses," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 48, Asian Development Bank.
- Robert J. Barro & Charles J. Redlick, 2009.
"Macroeconomic Effects from Government Purchases and Taxes,"
NBER Working Papers
15369, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:macroe:22754. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.