Deepening IndiaÃ¢â‚¬â€œBangladesh Economic Cooperation : Challenges and Opportunities
In recent years, South Asia has received growing attention as a region that is integrating successfully into the global economy. To maximize the benefits in terms of faster growth and poverty reduction, the region will need to strengthen regional and bilateral cooperation in several areas. In this context, closer bilateral cooperation and integration between major South Asian countries, such as between India and Bangladesh, will strengthen the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) and help ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of their activities. Cultural, trade, and economic exchanges between the two countries are long standing. Rapid domestic economic development and mutual cooperation have demonstrated broad prospects for further cooperation between the two countries. A remarkable growth in two-way trade between India and Bangladesh has resulted in robust growth of the economies in the region. Compared with their strength, much potential exists for developing trade and economic relations between the two countries. This paper discusses various opportunities and associated prospects and problems in strengthening the IndiaBangladesh economic cooperation and integration agenda in the context of SAARC.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200|
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andriamananjara, Soamiely, 2004.
"Trade and International Transport Services: an Analytical Framework,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 19, pages 604-625.
- Soamiely Andriamananjara, 2002. "Trade and International Transport Services: An Analytical Framework," International Trade 0211003, EconWPA.
- Carsten Fink & Aaditya Mattoo & Ileana Cristina Neagu, 2002.
"Trade in International Maritime Services: How Much Does Policy Matter?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 81-108, June.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2001. "Trade in international maritime services : how much does policy matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2522, The World Bank.
- Petia Topalova, 2007.
"Trade Liberalization, Poverty and Inequality: Evidence from Indian Districts,"
in: Globalization and Poverty, pages 291-336
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petia Topalova, 2005. "Trade Liberalization, Poverty, and Inequality: Evidence from Indian Districts," NBER Working Papers 11614, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petia Topalova, 2005. "Trade Liberalization, Poverty And Inequality: Evidence From Indian Districts," Working Papers id:222, eSocialSciences.
- Antonio Estache, 1994. "World Development Report: Infrastructure for Development," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44144, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mahinda Siriwardana & Jinmei Yang, 2007. "Effects of Proposed Free Trade Agreement between India and Bangladesh," South Asia Economic Journal, Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka, vol. 8(1), pages 21-38, January.
- Sachin Chaturvedi, 2007. "Trade Facilitation Measures in South Asian FTAs : An Overview of Initiatives and Policy Approaches," Trade Working Papers 22091, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Gene M. Grossman (ed.), 1996. "Economic Growth," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 553.
- Limao, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Infrastructure, geographical disadvantage, and transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2257, The World Bank.
- Étienne Gilbert, 1994. "Banque mondiale, World Development Report 1994, Infrastructure for development," Revue Tiers Monde, Programme National Persée, vol. 35(140), pages 939-939.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:macroe:22098. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.