Transportation Cost and Trade Competitiveness : Empirical Evidence from India
India has been witnessing a sharp rise in merchandise trade and showing greater trade interdependence on a large variety of goods, particularly in intermediate and capital goods. However, higher transportation costs continue to impede Indias trade. Costlier transportation prohibits trade in India and taxes the trade in the way tariff does. This paper provides sufficient evidence to ascertain that variations in ad-valorem transportation costs strongly influence trade flows in India. Another conclusion of this paper is that transportation cost is relatively more important than tariff in enhancing Indias merchandise trade. Reduction in transportation costs should therefore get utmost priority while formulating policy for Indias infrastructure development and trade facilitation since the fall in transportation costs, as an outcome of improved infrastructure, will stimulate trade. The challenge for India is thus to identify improvements in trade facilitation, logistics services and related infrastructure that can be achieved in the short-to-medium term and that would have a significant impact on trade competitiveness of India.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hummels & Georg Schaur, 2012.
"Time as a Trade Barrier,"
NBER Working Papers
17758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2004.
"Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1384-1402, December.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2002. "Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture," NBER Working Papers 9023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De, Prabir, 2006. "Trade, Infrastructure and Transaction Costs: The Imperatives for Asian Economic Cooperation," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 21, pages 708-735.
- Limao, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Infrastructure, geographical disadvantage, and transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2257, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:tradew:22099. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.