Monetary and Financial Cooperation in Asia : Emerging Trends and Prospects
Ever since the currency crisis of 1997-98 there has been a great deal of interest in enhancing regional economic cooperation in Asia. It is important to keep in mind that economic regionalism is multidimensional nature. The focus of this paper is on policy initiatives underway in Asia to enhance monetary and financial regionalism and the analytical bases for these initiatives, rather than on examining the de facto level of financial and monetary links that already exists (which may or may not have been facilitated via regional policy mechanisms). There are many gradations of monetary and financial regional cooperation, ranging from the weak form involving regional policy dialogue and surveillance, on the one hand, to exchange rate and monetary coordination, on the other. To maintain focus, this paper concentrates more narrowly on medium forms of monetary and financial regionalism, broadly defined as the development of regional liquidity arrangements and regional financial markets.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200|
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nadeem Ul Haque & Manmohan S. Kumar & Nelson Mark & Donald J. Mathieson, 1996.
"The Economic Content of Indicators of Developing Country Creditworthiness,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(4), pages 688-724, December.
- International Monetary Fund, 1996. "The Economic Content of Indicators of Developing Country Creditworthiness," IMF Working Papers 96/9, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:idb:wpaper:418 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nagesh Kumar, 2005. "Towards a Broader Asian Community : Agenda for the East Asia Summit," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22107, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto H. Stein, 2000.
"Why Do Countries Float the Way They Float?,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6467, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Ramkishen Rajan, 2002. "Safeguarding against Capital Account Crises: Unilateral, Regional and Multilateral Options for East Asia," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2002-01, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Barry Eichengreen & Pipat Luengnaruemitchai, 2004.
"Why Doesn't Asia Have Bigger Bond Markets?,"
NBER Working Papers
10576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2003. "Rise of service sector outward foreign direct investment from Indian economy: trends, patterns, and determinants," MPRA Paper 17078, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graham Bird & Ramkishen Rajan, 2002. "The Evolving Asian Financial Architecture," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2002-03, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Jung Sik Kim & Jie Li & Ramkishen S. Rajan & Ozan Sula & Thomas D. Willett, 2007. "Reserve Adequacy In Asia Revisited: New Benchmarks Based On The Size And Composition Of Capital Flow," Korean Economic Review, Korean Economic Association, vol. 23, pages 131-158.
- Nagesh Kumar & K.J. Joseph, 2006. "National Innovation Systems and India’s IT Capability: Are There Any Lessons for ASEAN Newcomers?," Chapters, in: Asia’s Innovation Systems in Transition, chapter 10 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2006.
"Managing New-Style Currency Crises: The Swan Diagram Approach Revisited,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0517, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2007. "Managing new-style currency crises: the swan diagram approach revisited," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 583-606.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2005. "Managing New-Style Currency Crises : The Swan Diagram Approach Revisited," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22574, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Piti Disyatat, 2001. "Currency Crises and Foreign Reserves; A Simple Model," IMF Working Papers 01/18, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:financ:22125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.