Social Group Disparities and Poverty in India
This paper seeks to provide a profile of social group disparities and poverty in India, where social groups are classified as scheduled caste, scheduled tribe and other social groups, and examine the factors underlying differences in levels of living between these groups and for each group separately. The paper argues that social group disparities in levels of living are the result of historically rooted social disadvantages for scheduled castes and scheduled tribes, by way of social exclusion and physical exclusion respectively, which continue to operate in contemporary Indian society.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200|
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van de Walle, Dominique & Gunewardena, Dileni, 2001.
"Sources of ethnic inequality in Viet Nam,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 177-207, June.
- Gunewardena, Dileni & Van de Walle, Dominique, 2000. "Sources of ethnic inequality in Vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2297, The World Bank.
- Gang, Ira N. & Sen, Kunal & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2002. "Caste, Ethnicity and Poverty in Rural India," IZA Discussion Papers 629, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ira N. Gang & Myeong-Su Yun & Kunal Sen, 2002. "Caste, Ethnicity and Poverty in Rural India," Departmental Working Papers 200225, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Étienne Gilbert, 1983. "Sudhir Anand, Inequality and Poverty in Malaysia, measurement and decomposition," Revue Tiers Monde, Programme National Persée, vol. 24(95), pages 709-710.
- Ravi Kanbur, 2006. "The policy significance of inequality decompositions," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 4(3), pages 367-374, December.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2003. "The Policy Significance of Inequality Decompositions," Working Papers 127237, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)