The First Six Waves of SOEP: The Panel Project in the Years 1983 to 1989
This article describes how the German Socio-Economic Panel longitudinal study project developed over the years 1983 to 1989, a period when practical experience was being gathered with the first six waves and when the further funding for this large-scale project was a constant issue. During this time, a series of basic features were established that have made this panel study an example to others - for example, its governance structure, teamworking capacity, service provision, data quality, and data provision. The article shows that during the early years of building this project in cooperation with the Collaborative Research Center Sfb 3 "Microanalytical Foundations of Social Policy" at the Universities of Frankfurt and Mannheim, the panel study at DIW Berlin developed increasingly close cooperation with non-university social science research institutions as well as with the two universities in West Berlin.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en/soep
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deborah A. Bowen & Michaela Engelmann & Sabine Kallwitz & Christine Kurka & Uta Rahmann, 2008. "Entwicklung des SOEPservice," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 77(3), pages 130-141.
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007.
"The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP) – Scope, Evolution and Enhancements,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 127(1), pages 139-169.
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007. "The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP): Scope, Evolution and Enhancements," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 1, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Joachim R. Frick & Markus M. Grabka, 2007.
"Item Non-response and Imputation of Annual Labor Income in Panel Surveys from a Cross-National Perspective,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
736, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Joachim R. Frick & Markus M. Grabka, 2007. "Item Non-response and Imputation of Annual Labor Income in Panel Surveys from a Cross-National Perspective," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 49, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Frick, Joachim R. & Grabka, Markus M., 2007. "Item Non-Response and Imputation of Annual Labor Income in Panel Surveys from a Cross-National Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 3043, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gert G. Wagner, 2008. "Die Längsschnittstudie Sozio-oekonomisches Panel (SOEP): die Jahre von der Wende zur Jahrtausendwende," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 77(3), pages 43-62.
- Jürgen Schupp ; Gert Wagner, 1990. "Die DDR-Stichprobe des Sozio-ökonomischen Panels (SOEP): Konzept und Durchführung der "Basiserhebung 1990" in der DDR," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 15, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwsop:diw_sp146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.