Modeling non performing loans probability in the commercial banking system: efficiency and effectiveness related to credit risk in Italy
In this paper we model the effect of the non performing loans on the cost structure of the commercial banking system. With this aim, we comment on an increase in the non performing loans by studying the consequences of such a change on the cost function and compute the probability of failure of maintaining a performing loan as such. In so doing we are convinced that geography does matter and evaluate the risk propensity of the bank towards the nonperforming loans accordingly. We finally stress that traditional efficiency indicators of cost elasticity do not fit properly with such a problem and propose a measure based on the costs for managing and monitoring the loans which, according to the related density function, will reveal effectively as non performing.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://dipartimento.dse.uniroma1.it/economia/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & John H. Leusner & John Mingo, 1994.
"The efficiency of bank branches,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-26, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eastwood, Brian J. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1991. "Adaptive Rules for Seminonparametric Estimators That Achieve Asymptotic Normality," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 307-340, September.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1982. "Unbiased determination of production technologies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 285-323, November.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1986.
"Two Stage and Related Estimators and Their Applications,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 517-38, August.
- Adrian Pagan, 1985. "Two Stage and Related Estimators and Their Applications," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 741, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1995.
"Problem Loans and Cost Efficiency in Commercial Banks,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & DeYoung, Robert, 1997. "Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 849-870, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1997. "Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-8, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Richard Simper, 1999. "Economies of scale in the Italian saving bank industry," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 11-19.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1991.
"The dominance of inefficiencies over scale and product mix economies in banking,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 117-148, August.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1990. "The dominance of inefficiencies over scale and product mix economies in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 107, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- DeYoung, Robert, 1997. "A diagnostic test for the distribution-free efficiency estimator: An example using U.S. commercial bank data," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 243-249, April.
- Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2002. "Cost and Profit Efficiency of Financial Conglomerates and Universal Banks in Europe," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 254-82, February.
- Mitchell, Karlyn & Onvural, Nur M, 1996. "Economies of Scale and Scope at Large Commercial Banks: Evidence from the Fourier Flexible Functional Form," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 178-99, May.
- Cavallo, Laura & Rossi, Stefania P. S., 2001. "Scale and scope economies in the European banking systems," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 515-531, December.
- Michel Dietsch & Ana Lozano Vivas, . "How the Environment Determines the Efficiency of Banks: A Comparison between French and Spanish Banking Industry," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- David Hauner & Shanaka J. Peiris, 2005. "Bank Efficiency and Competition in Low-Income Countries; The Case of Uganda," IMF Working Papers 05/240, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:des:wpaper:1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sardoni)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.