Modeling non performing loans probability in the commercial banking system: efficiency and effectiveness related to credit risk in Italy
In this paper we model the effect of the non performing loans on the cost structure of the commercial banking system. With this aim, we comment on an increase in the non performing loans by studying the consequences of such a change on the cost function and compute the probability of failure of maintaining a performing loan as such. In so doing we are convinced that geography does matter and evaluate the risk propensity of the bank towards the nonperforming loans accordingly. We finally stress that traditional efficiency indicators of cost elasticity do not fit properly with such a problem and propose a measure based on the costs for managing and monitoring the loans which, according to the related density function, will reveal effectively as non performing.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://dipartimento.dse.uniroma1.it/economia/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose Pastor, 1999. "Efficiency and risk management in Spanish banking: a method to decompose risk," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 371-384.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000.
"The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
7563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2004. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 526-556, June.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," CRSP working papers 511, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital In Financial Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 2383, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Hauner & Shanaka J Peiris, 2005. "Bank Efficiency and Competition in Low-Income Countries; The Case of Uganda," IMF Working Papers 05/240, International Monetary Fund.
- Michel Dietsch & Ana Lozano Vivas, "undated". "How the Environment Determines the Efficiency of Banks: A Comparison between French and Spanish Banking Industry," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Allen Berger & John Leusner & John Mingo, 1994.
"The Efficiency of Bank Branches,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
94-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1991.
"The dominance of inefficiencies over scale and product mix economies in banking,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 117-148, August.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1990. "The dominance of inefficiencies over scale and product mix economies in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 107, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jose Pastor, 2002.
"Credit risk and efficiency in the European banking system: A three-stage analysis,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(12), pages 895-911.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1999. "- Credit Risk And Efficiency In The European Banking Systems: A Three-Stage Analysis," Working Papers. Serie EC 1999-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- McAllister, Patrick H. & McManus, Douglas, 1993. "Resolving the scale efficiency puzzle in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 389-405, April.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1995.
"Problem Loans and Cost Efficiency in Commercial Banks,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & DeYoung, Robert, 1997. "Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 849-870, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1997. "Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-8, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mitchell, Karlyn & Onvural, Nur M, 1996. "Economies of Scale and Scope at Large Commercial Banks: Evidence from the Fourier Flexible Functional Form," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 178-99, May.
- Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2002. "Cost and Profit Efficiency of Financial Conglomerates and Universal Banks in Europe," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 254-82, February.
- Eastwood, Brian J. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1991. "Adaptive Rules for Seminonparametric Estimators That Achieve Asymptotic Normality," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 307-340, September.
- Guido Ascari & Valeria Di Cosmo, 2005.
"Determinants of Total Factor Productivity in the Italian Regions,"
- Guido Ascari & Valeria di Cosmo, 2005. "Determinants of total factor productivity in the italian Regions," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2005(2), pages -.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181, December.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1993. "Derivation of Shadow Prices for Undesirable Outputs: A Distance Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 374-380, May.
- Bernardo Maggi & Stefania P. S. Rossi, 2003. "An efficiency analysis of banking systems: a comparison of European and United States large commercial banks using different functional forms," Vienna Economics Papers 0306, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1982. "Unbiased determination of production technologies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 285-323, November.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- DeYoung, Robert, 1997. "A diagnostic test for the distribution-free efficiency estimator: An example using U.S. commercial bank data," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 243-249, April.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
- Adrian Pagan, 1985.
"Two Stage and Related Estimators and Their Applications,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
741, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Adrian Pagan, 1986. "Two Stage and Related Estimators and Their Applications," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 517-538.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Cavallo, Laura & Rossi, Stefania P. S., 2001. "Scale and scope economies in the European banking systems," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 515-531, December.
- D'Auria, Claudio & Foglia, Antonella & Reedtz, Paolo Marullo, 1999. "Bank interest rates and credit relationships in Italy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1067-1093, July.
- Jose Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2005.
"Efficiency, endogenous and exogenous credit risk in the banking systems of the Euro area,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(9), pages 631-649.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 2000. "Efficiency, Endogenous And Exogenous Credit Risk In The Banking Systems Of The Euro Area," Working Papers. Serie EC 2000-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Richard Simper, 1999. "Economies of scale in the Italian saving bank industry," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 11-19.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:des:wpaper:1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sardoni)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.