Gini coefficient as a life table function: computation from discrete data, decomposition of differences and empirical examples
This paper presents a toolkit for measuring and analysing inter-individual inequality in length of life by Gini coefficient. Gini coefficient is treated as an additional function of the life table. A new method for the estimation of Gini coefficient from life table data has been developed and tested on the basis of hundreds of life tables. The method provides precise estimates of Gini coefficient for abridged life tables even if the last age group is 85+. New formulae have been derived for the decomposition of differences in Gini coefficient by age and cause of death. A method for further decomposition of age-components into effects of mortality and population group has been developed. It permits the linking of inter-individual inequalities in length of life with inter-group inequalities. Empirical examples include the decomposition of secular decrease in Gini coefficient in the USA by age, decomposition of the difference in Gini coefficient between the UK and the USA by age and cause of death, temporal changes in the effects of elimination of causes of death on Gini coefficient, and decomposition of changes in Gini coefficient in Russia by age and educational group. Consideration of the variations in Gini coefficient during the last decades and across modern populations show that these variations are driven not only by historical shifts in the distribution of deaths by age, but also by peculiar health and social situations. (AUTHORS)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott Lynch & J. Brown, 2001. "Reconsidering mortality compression and deceleration: an alternative model of mortality rates," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 38(1), pages 79-95, February.
- J. Pollard, 1988. "On the decomposition of changes in expectation of life and differentials in life expectancy," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 25(2), pages 265-276, May.
- John Wilmoth & Shiro Horiuchi, 1999. "Rectangularization revisited: Variability of age at death within human populations," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 36(4), pages 475-495, November.
- repec:cai:popine:popu_p1985_40n4-5_0770 is not listed on IDEAS
- Le Grand, Julian, 1987. "Inequalities in health : Some international comparisons," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 182-191.
- Eduardo Arriaga, 1984. "Measuring and explaining the change in life expectancies," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 21(1), pages 83-96, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dem:wpaper:wp-2001-017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Wilhelm)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.