Comparative Costs, the Invisible Hand, and Factor Endowments: Ricardo, Ohlin, and Samuelson
The Ricardian principle of ‘comparative advantage’ refers to relative costs (relative autarky prices) compared to another country. The relative cost (price) functions can be obtained directly from specified cost functions with global regularity properties. We derive the CES relative cost function with two primary factor prices. The Stolper-Samuelson Theorem is embedded in relative cost functions and their numerical inelasticity property. Factor price equalization represents extreme parametric versions of the relative cost functions. Moreover a relative cost function connects isoquant tangents of contract curves with the tangents (shape) of production possibility curves. The CES relative cost function is combined with Ohlin‘s ‘mutual-interdependence theory of pricing’ in solving the Walrasian general equilibrium system.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +45 6550 2233
Fax: +45 6550 1090
Web page: http://degit.sam.sdu.dk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521319867 is not listed on IDEAS
- Opp, Marcus M. & Sonnenschein, Hugo F. & Tombazos, Christis G., 2009. "Rybczynski's Theorem in the Heckscher-Ohlin World -- Anything Goes," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 137-142, September.
- Ricardo, David, 1821. "On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, edition 3, number ricardo1821.
- Bagicha S. Minhas, 1962. "The Homohypallagic Production Function, Factor-Intensity Reversals, and the Heckscher-Ohlin Theorem," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 138.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521266550 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:deg:conpap:c016_042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Pedersen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.