Unidentified Components in Reduced Rank Regression Estimation of ECM's
Reduced rank regression procedures in error correction models (ECM's) permit consistent estimation of the cointegration space but do not provide consistent estimates of individual structural relations when the dimension of the cointegration space is greater than one. Indeed, individual structural cointegrating equations are unidentified without additional a priori restrictions, just as in the conventional simultaneous equations framework. The effect of this lack of identification is explored by considering the distributions and limit distributions of reduced rank regression estimates of unidentified components of the cointegrating matrix in a typical VAR formulation of the ECM. Some recommendations are made for empirical practice.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"The Distribution of FIML in the Leading Case,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
739, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1987.
"Spherical Matrix Distributions and Cauchy Quotients,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
823, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P. C. B., 1989. "Spherical matrix distributions and cauchy quotients," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 51-53, May.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1991. "The Tail Behavior of Maximum Likelihood Estimates of Cointegrating Coefficients in Error Correction Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 999, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P C B, 1991.
"Optimal Inference in Cointegrated Systems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 283-306, March.
- Hiro Y. Toda & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1991. "Vector Autoregression and Causality: A Theoretical Overview and Simulation Study," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1001, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Toda, Hiro Y & Phillips, Peter C B, 1993.
"Vector Autoregressions and Causality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1367-93, November.
- Park, Joon Y, 1992. "Canonical Cointegrating Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 119-43, January.
- Park, J.Y. & Ogaki, M., 1991. "Inference in Cointegrated Models Using VAR Prewhitening to Estimate Shortrun Dynamics," RCER Working Papers 281, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.