Delocation, home wages and welfare
I present a general equilibrium model of delocation where firms move from the North to the South to benefit from low wages. As suggested by the large empirical litterature, welfare in the North increases when the host country is not technologically too lagged. Moreover, I show that vertical technology transfer to the South plays a major role in enhancing welfare of workers-consumers in the North and in the South. This analysis helps explaining the differences in empirical findings on production delocation.
|Date of creation:||25 Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aitken, B. & Harrison, A. & Lipsey, R.E., 1995.
"Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States,"
95-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E., 1996. "Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 345-371, May.
- Brian Aitken & Ann Harrison & Robert E. Lipsey, 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela and the United States," NBER Working Papers 5102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1985. "Can Unemployment Be Involuntary? Reply [Equilibrium Unemployemnt as a Worker Discipline Device]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1215-1217, December.
- Keuschnigg, Christian & Ribi, Evelyn, 2007.
"Outsourcing, Unemployment and Welfare Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Evelyn Ribi, 2008. "Outsourcing, Unemployment and Welfare Policy," CESifo Working Paper Series 2452, CESifo Group Munich.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Evelyn Ribi, 2007. "Outsourcing, Unemployment and Welfare Policy," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007 2007-41, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Evelyn Ribi, 2007. "Outsourcing, Unemployment and Welfare Policy," Working Papers 0720, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- David A. Riker & S. Lael Brainard, 1997. "U.S. Multinationals and Competition from Low Wage Countries," NBER Working Papers 5959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M, 2002. " Outsourcing, Imports and Labour Demand," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(4), pages 567-586, December.
- MartÌn Rama, 2003. "Globalization and the Labor Market," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 18(2), pages 159-186.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2014007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.