Explaining wheat yields in eighteenth-century Spain
From an extensive dataset of wheat yields at municipal level in mid eighteenth-century Spain, a detailed statistical analysis indicates that the differences in wheat yields were mainly a consequence of different natural conditions, and that demand did not have a significant influence. Counterfactual exercises show that improvements in rainfall, altitude or roughness of terrain would have a significant impact on average yields. The paper concludes that, although grain markets in the mid-eighteenth century were well integrated, producers addressed the growing demand not by investing in increasing yields, but by extending the area of cultivated land using the still abundant pastures. The low grain yields in Spain were in part a consequence of the rational behaviour of producers who faced an economic environment characterized by an elastic supply of land
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/instituto_figuerola|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simpson,James, 2003.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521525169, June.
- Santiago-Caballero, Carlos, 2010.
"Income inequality in central Spain, 1690-1800,"
IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH
wp10-11, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Álvarez-Nogal, Carlos & Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2011.
"The Rise and Fall of Spain (1270-1850),"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8369, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clark, Gregory, 1992. "The Economics of Exhaustion, the Postan Thesis, and the Agricultural Revolution," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 52(01), pages 61-84, March.
- Milanovic, Branko & Lindert, Peter & Williamson, Jeffrey, 2007.
"Measuring Ancient Inequality,"
5388, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Milanovic,Branko & Lindert, Peter H. & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 2007. "Measuring ancient inequality," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4412, The World Bank.
- Branko Milanovic & Peter H. Lindert & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2007. "Measuring Ancient Inequality," NBER Working Papers 13550, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey G. Williamson & Branko Milanovic & Peter H. Lindert, 2008. "Measuring Ancient Inequality," Working Papers 08-06, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC).
- Kopsidis, Michael & Wolf, Nikolaus, 2012.
"Agricultural Productivity Across Prussia During the Industrial Revolution: A Thünen Perspective,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 72(03), pages 634-670, September.
- Michael Kopsidis & Nikolaus Wolf, 2012. "Agricultural Productivity Across Prussia During the Industrial Revolution: A ThŸnen Perspective," Working Papers 0013, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Mironov, Boris & A'Hearn, Brian, 2008. "Russian Living Standards under the Tsars: Anthropometric Evidence from the Volga," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 68(03), pages 900-929, September.
- Brunt, Liam, 2004. "Nature or Nurture? Explaining English Wheat Yields in the Industrial Revolution, c.1770," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 64(01), pages 193-225, March.
- Enrique Llopis Agelán & Miguel Jerez Méndez, 2001. "El mercado de trigo en Castilla y León, 1691-1788: arbitraje espacial e intervención," Historia Agraria. Revista de Agricultura e Historia Rural, Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria, issue 25, pages 13-68.
- Reher, David S., 2001. "Producción, precios e integración de los mercados regionales de grano en la España preindustrial," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 539-572, December.
- Overton, Mark, 1979. "Estimating Crop Yields from Probate Inventories: An Example from EastAnglia, 1585–1735," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(02), pages 363-378, June.
- Allen, Robert C., 1988. "Inferring Yields from Probate Inventories," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 48(01), pages 117-125, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:whrepe:wp12-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.