An artificial neural network approach for assigning rating judgements to Italian Small Firms
Based on new regulations of Basel II Accord in 2004, banks and financial nstitutions have now the possibility to develop internal rating systems with the aim of correctly udging financial health status of firms. This study analyses the situation of Italian small firms that are difficult to judge because their economic and financial data are often not available. The intend of this work is to propose a simulation framework to give a rating judgements to firms presenting poor financial information. The model assigns a rating judgement that is a simulated counterpart of that done by Bureau van Dijk-K Finance (BvD). Assigning rating score to small firms with problem of poor availability of financial data is really problematic. Nevertheless, in Italy the majority of firms are small and there is not a law that requires to firms to deposit balance-sheet in a detailed form. For this reason the model proposed in this work is a three-layer framework that allows us to assign ating judgements to small enterprises using simple balance-sheet data.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Real Collegio, 30 10024 - Moncalieri TO|
Web page: http://www.ircres.cnr.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olmeda, Ignacio & Fernandez, Eugenio, 1997. "Hybrid Classifiers for Financial Multicriteria Decision Making: The Case of Bankruptcy Prediction," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 10(4), pages 317-335, November.
- Ravi Kumar, P. & Ravi, V., 2007. "Bankruptcy prediction in banks and firms via statistical and intelligent techniques - A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(1), pages 1-28, July.
- de Andres, Javier & Landajo, Manuel & Lorca, Pedro, 2005. "Forecasting business profitability by using classification techniques: A comparative analysis based on a Spanish case," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 518-542, December.
- Altman, Edward I. & Haldeman, Robert G. & Narayanan, P., 1977. "ZETATM analysis A new model to identify bankruptcy risk of corporations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 29-54, June.
- Cielen, Anja & Peeters, Ludo & Vanhoof, Koen, 2004. "Bankruptcy prediction using a data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 526-532, April.
- Martin, Daniel, 1977. "Early warning of bank failure : A logit regression approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 249-276, November.
- William R. Dillon & Roger Calantone & Parker Worthing, 1979. "The New Product Problem: An Approach for Investigating Product Failures," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(12), pages 1184-1196, December.
- Kao, Chiang & Liu, Shiang-Tai, 2004. "Predicting bank performance with financial forecasts: A case of Taiwan commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2353-2368, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csc:cerisp:201104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Perin)or (Giancarlo Birello)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.