EU Accession Effects on Export Performance: The Case of Greece
This paper estimates the effects on the Greek export performance that caused by the EU accession. A simultaneous equations model of export demand and export supply has been used in order to avoid the simultaneity problem. Comparative static analysis and the residuals approach have been implemented. The results indicate that the EU accession and the consequent abolition of the export subsidies had a negative effect on the country’s export performance, instead of improving it. The main reason for this effect is that the export subsidies, during the time period that were valid, were just improved the exporters’ revenues and not used for creating new comparative advantages for the Greek products.
|Date of creation:||00 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +30 831 77405
Fax: +30 831 77406
Web page: http://economics.soc.uoc.gr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S, 1978. "The Supply and Demand for Exports: A Simultaneous Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 275-86, May.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Michael Plummer, 1991. "Ex-post empirical estimates of the second enlargement: The case of Greece," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 171-182, March.
- Moran, Cristian, 1988. "A Structural Model for Developing Countries' Manufactured Exports," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(3), pages 321-40, September.
- Minoas Koukouritakis, 2005.
"EU Accession Effects on the Demand for Manufactures: the Case of Greece,"
0506, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Koukouritakis, Minoas, 2005. "EU Accession Effects on the Demand for Manufactures: the Case of Greece," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 58(4), pages 471-488.
- Georgakopoulos, Theodore A., 1993. "Trade and Welfare Effects of Common Market Membership: An Ex-post Evaluation for Greece," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 46(4), pages 360-376.
- Michael Arghyrou, 2000. "EU participation and the external trade of Greece: an appraisal of the evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 151-159.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crt:wpaper:0516. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.