Market Strucutre, Screening Activity and Bank Lending Behavior
In this paper we construct a theoretical model of spatial banking competition that considers the differential information among banks and potential borrowers in order to investigate how market structure affects the lending behavior of banks and their incentives to invest in screening technology. Consistent with the prevailing view in the relevant literature, our results reveal that competition reduces lending cost, which, in turn, encourages the entry of new customers in the loan market. Also, that the transportation cost that potential borrowers have to pay in order to reach the bank of their interest is decreased with the degree of competitiveness. Importantly, we demonstrate that market structure exerts a considerable positive effect on banks’ incentives to screen their loan applicants since banks are found to invest more in screening as competition in the market becomes higher. This is to say, banks resort to screening that serves as a buffer mechanism against bad credit which entails higher risk and which is more likely under competitive conditions. Overall, our findings provide support to a rather close link between the degree of competition, bank lending activity, and the investment of banks in screening technology. "Keywords: banking; spatial competition; screening; credit risk" "Classification-JEL: G21; D41; D80"
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +352 46 66 44 6335
Fax: +352 46 66 44 6811
Web page: http://wwwen.uni.lu/luxembourg_school_of_finance
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christa Hainz & Laurent Weill & Christophe J. Godlewski, 2008.
"Bank Competition and Collateral: Theory and Evidence,"
Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center
2008-19, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Christa Hainz & Laurent Weill & Christophe Godlewski, 2013. "Bank Competition and Collateral: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 131-148, October.
- Hainz , Christa & Weill , Laurent & Godlewski, Christophe, 2008. "Bank competition and collateral: theory and evidence," Research Discussion Papers 27/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Viral V. Acharya & Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders, 2006.
"Should Banks Be Diversified? Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1355-1412, May.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders & Viral V. Acharya, 2002. "Should banks be diversified? Evidence from individual bank loan portfolios," BIS Working Papers 118, Bank for International Settlements.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2000.
"Does Distance Still Matter? The Information Revolution in Small Business Lending,"
NBER Working Papers
7685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2002. "Does Distance Still Matter? The Information Revolution in Small Business Lending," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2533-2570, December.
- Jan Bouckaert & Hans Degryse, 2002.
"Entry and Strategic Information Display in Credit Markets,"
CSEF Working Papers
79, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Jan Bouckaert & Hans Degryse, 2006. "Entry and Strategic Information Display in Credit Markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(513), pages 702-720, 07.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Perez-Castrillo, David & Verdier, Thierry, 1995.
"Spatial competition in the banking system: Localization, cross subsidies and the regulation of deposit rates,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 889-918, May.
- Chiappori, P.A. & Perez-Castrillo, D. & Verdier, T., 1992. "Spatial Competition in the Banking System: Localization, Cross Subsidies and the Regulation of Deposit Rates," DELTA Working Papers 92-15, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Schnitzer, Monika, 1999.
"Enterprise restructuring and bank competition in transition economies,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19891, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Monika Schnitzer, 1999. "Enterprise restructuring and bank competition in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(1), pages 133-155, March.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Hyytinen, Ari, 2003. "Information production and lending market competition," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 233-253.
- Cetorelli, Nicola & Peretto, Pietro F., 2000.
"Oligopoly Banking and Capital Accumulation,"
00-19, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:2003123 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert Hauswald & Robert Marquez, 2006. "Competition and Strategic Information Acquisition in Credit Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 967-1000.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crf:wpaper:10-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martine Zenner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.