Fiscal Union Consensus Design under the Risk of Autarky
Inspired by the current debate over the future of the monetary union in Europe, this paper provides a simple model for the determination of the conditions of survival of the common good, which requires the creation of an effective fiscal union. We highlight the importance of institutional design and varying decision weights for the enlargement of the space for consensus. Our model deepens the discussion of economic risk and political risk in fiscal federalism, and highlights the related roles of country heterogeneity and institutional design in enlarging the scope for cross country fiscal agreements.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Celentani & J. Ignacio Conde & Klaus Desmet, 2002.
"Endogenous policy leads to inefficient risk sharing,"
Economics Working Papers
593, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 2003.
- Marco Celentani & J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Klaus Desmet, 2004. "Endogenous Policy Leads to Inefficient Risk Sharing," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(3), pages 758-787, July.
- Celentani, Marco & Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Desmet, Klaus, 2003. "Endogenous Policy Leads to Inefficient Risk-Sharing," CEPR Discussion Papers 3866, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Celentani & J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Klaus Desmet, "undated". "Endogenous Policy Leads to Inefficient Risk Sharing," Working Papers 2003-08, FEDEA.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1995.
"On the Number and Size of Nations,"
NBER Working Papers
5050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eerola Essi & Määttänen Niku & Poutvaara Panu, 2004.
"Citizens Should Vote on Secession,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-22, October.
- Eerola, Essi & Määttänen, Niku & Poutvaara, Panu, 2004. "Citizens Should Vote on Secession," Discussion Papers 939, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Eerola, Essi & Määttänen, Niku & Poutvaara, Panu, 2004. "Citizens should vote on secession," Munich Reprints in Economics 20524, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8552. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.