Playing it Safe with Low Conditional Fees versus Being Insured by High Contingent Fees
Under contingent fees the attorney gets a share of the judgement; under conditional fees they get an upscale premium if the case is won, which is, however, unrelated to the adjudicated amount. We compare conditional and contingent fees in a framework where lawyers choose between a safe and a risky litigation strategy. Under conditional fees lawyers prefer the safe strategy, under contingent fess the risky one. Risk-averse plaintiffs prefer conditional fees over contingent fees when lawyering costs are low and vice versa for high lawyering costs.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kirstein, Roland & Rickman, Neil, 2002.
""Third Party Contingency" contracts in settlement and litigation,"
CSLE Discussion Paper Series
2002-11, Saarland University, CSLE - Center for the Study of Law and Economics.
- Roland Kirstein & Neil Rickman, 2004. ""Third Party Contingency" Contracts in Settlement and Litigation," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 160(4), pages 555-, December.
- Kirstein, Roland & Rickman, Neil, 2002. ""Third Party Contingency" contracts in settlement and litigation," Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series qt6vn9877z, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Roland Kirstein & Neil Rickman, . "Third Party Contingency contracts in settlement and litigation," German Working Papers in Law and Economics 2002-1-1038, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Kirstein, Roland & Rickman, Neil, 2003. ""Third Party Contingency" contracts in settlement and litigation," CSLE Discussion Paper Series 2003-09, Saarland University, CSLE - Center for the Study of Law and Economics.
- Winand Emons, 2007.
"Conditional versus contingent fees,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 59(1), pages 89-101, January.
- Emons, Winand & Garoupa, Nuno, 2004.
"The Economics of US-Style Contingent Fees and UK-Style Conditional Fees,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Winand Emons & Nuno Garoupa, 2004. "The Economics of US-style Contingent Fees and UK-style Conditional Fees," Diskussionsschriften dp0407, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:4841. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.