The Seven Percent Solution? An International Perspective On Underwriting Spreads
Non-US firms frequently pay a substantial premium to have a US bank lead their initial public offering of equity, even when the issuing firm is not seeking a listing on a US exchange. We provide evidence that this decision reflects an expectation that US banks deliver a higher quality bundle of underwriting services. Specifically, a non-US issuing firm that includes a US bank in its underwriting syndicate can expect to have its offering underpriced by 17.7% less than had it not included a US bank in the syndicate. Failure to account for the endogeneity of the decision to hire a US bank vastly understates the magnitude of the effect. This finding has direct implications for the claim that US bank spreads for domestic IPOs are above competitive levels.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1989.
"Optimal Contracts with Lock-In,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 51-68, March.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1987. "Optimal Contracts with Lock-In," Economics Working Papers 8758, University of California at Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1987. "Optimal Contracts with Lock-In," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt19f324hf, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Benveniste, Lawrence M. & Spindt, Paul A., 1989. "How investment bankers determine the offer price and allocation of new issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 343-361.
- Tufano, Peter, 1989. "Financial innovation and first-mover advantages," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 213-240, December.
- DeAngelo, Linda Elizabeth, 1981. "Auditor independence, `low balling', and disclosure regulation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 113-127, August.
- Benveniste, Lawrence M. & Busaba, Walid Y. & Wilhelm Jr., William J., 1996. "Price stabilization as a bonding mechanism in new equity issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 223-255, October.
- Habib, Michel A & Ljungqvist, Alexander P, 2001.
"Underpricing and Entrepreneurial Wealth Losses in IPOs: Theory and Evidence,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 433-58.
- Michel Habib & Alexander Ljungqvist, 1999. "Underpricing and Entrepreneurial Wealth Losses in IPOs: Theory and Evidence," OFRC Working Papers Series 1999fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Ann E. Sherman & Sheridan Titman, 2000.
"Building the IPO Order Book: Underpricing and Participation Limits With Costly Information,"
NBER Working Papers
7786, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sherman, Ann E. & Titman, Sheridan, 2002. "Building the IPO order book: underpricing and participation limits with costly information," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 3-29, July.
- Hsuan-Chi Chen & Jay R. Ritter, 2000. "The Seven Percent Solution," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1105-1131, 06.
- Persons, John C & Warther, Vincent A, 1997. "Boom and Bust Patterns in the Adoption of Financial Innovations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 939-67.
- Benveniste, Lawrence M. & Busaba, Walid Y., 1997. "Bookbuilding vs. Fixed Price: An Analysis of Competing Strategies for Marketing IPOs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(04), pages 383-403, December.
- Stoughton, Neal M. & Zechner, Josef, 1998. "IPO-mechanisms, monitoring and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 45-77, July.
- Benveniste, Lawrence M. & Wilhelm, William J., 1990. "A comparative analysis of IPO proceeds under alternative regulatory environments," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 173-207.
- Hanley, Kathleen Weiss, 1993. "The underpricing of initial public offerings and the partial adjustment phenomenon," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 231-250, October.
- Anand, Bharat N & Galetovic, Alexander, 2000.
"Information, Nonexcludability, and Financial Market Structure,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(3), pages 357-402, July.
- Bharat N. Anand & Alexander Galetovic, 1996. "Information, Nonexcludability, and Financial Market Structure," Documentos de Trabajo 7, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Hanley, Kathleen Weiss & Wilhelm Jr., William J., 1995. "Evidence on the strategic allocation of initial public offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 239-257, February.
- Nanda, Vikram & Yun, Youngkeol, 1997. "Reputation and Financial Intermediation: An Empirical Investigation of the Impact of IPO Mispricing on Underwriter Market Value," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 39-63, January.
- Christie, William G & Schultz, Paul H, 1994. " Why Do NASDAQ Market Makers Avoid Odd-Eighth Quotes?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1813-40, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2736. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.