Asymptotics for random effects models with serial correlation
This paper considers the large sample behavior of the maximum likelihood estimator of random effects models. Consistent estimation and asymptotic normality as N and/or T grows large is established for a comprehensive specification which allows for serial correlation in the form of AR(1) for the idiosyncratic or time-specific error component. The consistency and asymptotic normality properties of all commonly used random effects models are obtained as special cases of the comprehensive model. When N or T \rightarrow \infty only a subset of the parameters are consistent and asymptotic normality is established for the consistent subsets.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Magnus, Jan R & Woodland, Alan D, 1988.
"On the Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Multivariate Regression Models Containing Serially Correlated Error Components,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(4), pages 707-25, November.
- Magnus, J.R. & Woodland, A.D., 1988. "On the maximum likelihood estimation of multivariate regression models containing serially correlated error components," Other publications TiSEM 21cf54a1-ad57-442b-9c3d-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1994. "Estimating Error Component Models With General MA(q) Disturbances," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 396-408, June.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1971. "The Estimation of the Variances in a Variance-Components Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 12(1), pages 1-13, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521405515 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521477451 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sune Karlsson & Jimmy Skoglund, 2004.
"Maximum-likelihood based inference in the two-way random effects model with serially correlated time effects,"
Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 79-88, January.
- Karlsson, Sune & Skoglund, Jimmy, 2000. "Maximum-likelihood based inference in the two-way random effects model with serially correlated time effects," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 383, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Sune Karlsson & Jimmy Skoglund, 2000. "Maximum-Likelihood Based Inference in the Two-Way Random Effects Model with Serially Correlated Time Effects," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1178, Econometric Society.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521471626 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1991. "A transformation that will circumvent the problem of autocorrelation in an error-component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 385-393, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521477444 is not listed on IDEAS
- MaCurdy, Thomas E., 1982. "The use of time series processes to model the error structure of earnings in a longitudinal data analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 83-114, January.
- Lillard, Lee A & Willis, Robert J, 1978.
"Dynamic Aspects of Earning Mobility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 985-1012, September.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153224 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpd:pd2002:a6-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sune Karlsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.