Sources of Income Persistence: Evidence from Rural El Salvador
This article uses a unique panel data set of rural El Salvador to investigate the main sources of persistence and variability in incomes. Our econometric framework validly reduces a general panel model to a dynamic linear model with a covariance structure that can be estimated efficiently with short panels. We find that life-cycle incomes are largely explained by the productive characteristics of families, such as education and access to public goods, and unobserved heterogeneity. Pure state dependence, arising from income shocks persistency, is of second order. In El Salvador, frequent transitory shocks are a more important source of income variation than in developed countries.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: York Hall 327, 2275 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M6|
Web page: http://www.jid-online.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jimenez-Martin, Sergi, 1998. "On the testing of heterogeneity effects in dynamic unbalanced panel data models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 157-163, February.
- Gottschalk, Peter & Moffitt, Robert A, 1994. "Welfare Dependence: Concepts, Measures, and Trends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 38-42, May.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Hendry, David F & Mizon, Grayham E, 1978. "Serial Correlation as a Convenient Simplification, not a Nuisance: A Comment on a Study of the Demand for Money by the Bank of England," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 549-63, September.
- Anil K. Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000.
"Tests for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1888, Econometric Society.
- Bera, Anil K. & Sosa-Escudero, Walter & Yoon, Mann, 2001. "Tests for the error component model in the presence of local misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Anil Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000. "Test for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification," Department of Economics, Working Papers 022, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Martin Ravallion & Shubham Chaudhuri, 1997. "Risk and Insurance in Village India: Comment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 171-184, January.
- World Bank, 2005. "El Salvador : Poverty Assessment, Strengthening Social Policy," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8427, The World Bank.
- Lillard, Lee A & Willis, Robert J, 1978.
"Dynamic Aspects of Earning Mobility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 985-1012, September.
- Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "Nonfarm Employment and Poverty in Rural El Salvador," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 529-547, March.
- MaCurdy, Thomas E., 1982. "The use of time series processes to model the error structure of earnings in a longitudinal data analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 83-114, January.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Meghir, Costas & Pistaferri, Luigi, 2002.
"Income Variance Dynamics and Heterogeneity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John M. Abowd & David Card, 1986.
"On the Covariance Structure of Earnings and Hours Changes,"
NBER Working Papers
1832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abowd, John M & Card, David, 1989. "On the Covariance Structure of Earnings and Hours Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 411-45, March.
- Milton Friedman & Simon Kuznets, 1954. "Income from Independent Professional Practice," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie54-1.
- Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin, 1999. "Income gains to the poor from workfare - estimates for Argentina's TRABAJAR Program," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2149, The World Bank.
- Walter Sosa Escudero & Anil K. Bera, 2008. "Tests for Unbalanced Error Component Models Under Local Misspecication," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0065, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1988. "Testing for individual effects in autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 297-307, November.
- Lokshin Michael & Ravallion Martin, 2004. "Household Income Dynamics in Two Transition Economies," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-33, September.
- Francisca Antman & David McKenzie, 2007.
"Poverty traps and nonlinear income dynamics with measurement error and individual heterogeneity,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(6), pages 1057-1083.
- Antman, Francisca & McKenzie, David J., 2005. "Poverty traps and nonlinear income dynamics with measurement error and individual heterogeneity," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3764, The World Bank.
- Pritchett, Lant & Suryahadi, Asep & Sumarto, Sudarno, 2000. "Quantifying vulnerability to poverty - a proposed measure, applied to Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2437, The World Bank.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Marianthi Markatou, 1993. "Semiparametric Estimation Of Regression Models For Panel Data," Econometrics 9309001, EconWPA.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Marianthi Markatou, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of Regression Models for Panel Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(1), pages 145-168.
- Fields, Gary S. & Duval Hernández, Robert & Freije-Rodriguez, Samuel & Sanchez Puerta, Maria Laura, 2007. "Earnings Mobility in Argentina, Mexico, and Venezuela: Testing the Divergence of Earnings and the Symmetry of Mobility Hypotheses," IZA Discussion Papers 3184, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Newhouse, 2005. "The Persistence of Income Shocks: Evidence from Rural Indonesia," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 415-433, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jid:journl:y:2011:v:20:i:1:p:3-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timm Boenke)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.