Estimating regressions and seemingly unrelated regressions with error component disturbances
The estimation of regressions models with two-way error component disurbances, is considered for the case where both the random effects are non-spherically distributed. The usual approach that first transforms the effects into uncorrelated ones and then applies within and between transformations, cannot be conveniently applied. Here, it is proposed to revert this scheme by firstly applying the within and between transformations. This results in simple General Linear Model which can be partitioned into three smaller GLMs. Then, by exploiting the structure of the models and using the Generalized QR decomposition as a tool, a computationally efficient and numerically reliable method for estimating the regression parameters is derived. This estimation method is generalized to the case of a system of seemingly unrelated regressions.
|Date of creation:||08 Feb 2005|
|Date of revision:||07 Sep 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1994. "Estimating Error Component Models With General MA(q) Disturbances," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 396-408, June.
- Erricos Kontoghiorghes, 1999. "Updating SURE Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1324, Society for Computational Economics.
- Sune Karlsson & Jimmy Skoglund, 2000.
"Maximum-Likelihood Based Inference in the Two-Way Random Effects Model with Serially Correlated Time Effects,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1178, Econometric Society.
- Sune Karlsson & Jimmy Skoglund, 2004. "Maximum-likelihood based inference in the two-way random effects model with serially correlated time effects," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 79-88, January.
- Karlsson, Sune & Skoglund, Jimmy, 2000. "Maximum-likelihood based inference in the two-way random effects model with serially correlated time effects," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 383, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Foschi, Paolo & Belsley, David A. & Kontoghiorghes, Erricos J., 2003. "A comparative study of algorithms for solving seemingly unrelated regressions models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 3-35, October.
- anonymous, 1982. "Communication," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(3), pages 337-337, March.
- Galbraith, John W. & Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 1995. "Transforming the error-components model for estimation with general ARMA disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 349-355.
- anonymous, 1982. "Communication," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(11), pages 1350-1351, November.
- Magnus, J.R. & Woodland, A.D., 1988.
"On the maximum likelihood estimation of multivariate regression models containing serially correlated error components,"
Other publications TiSEM
21cf54a1-ad57-442b-9c3d-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Magnus, Jan R & Woodland, Alan D, 1988. "On the Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Multivariate Regression Models Containing Serially Correlated Error Components," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(4), pages 707-25, November.
- Baltagi, Badi H, 1980. "On Seemingly Unrelated Regressions with Error Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(6), pages 1547-51, September.
- Balestra, Pietro & Varadharajan-Krishnakumar, Jayalakshmi, 1987. "Full Information Estimations of a System of Simultaneous Equations with Error Component Structure," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 223-246, April.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1971. "The Estimation of the Variances in a Variance-Components Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 12(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Nerlove, Marc, 1971. "A Note on Error Components Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 383-96, March.
- Lee A. Lillard & Robert J. Willis, 1976.
"Dynamic Aspects of Earnings Mobility,"
NBER Working Papers
0150, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MaCurdy, Thomas E., 1982. "The use of time series processes to model the error structure of earnings in a longitudinal data analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 83-114, January.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1991. "A transformation that will circumvent the problem of autocorrelation in an error-component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 385-393, June.
- Skoglund, Jimmy & Karlsson, Sune, 2001. "Specification and estimation of random effects models with serial correlation of general form," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0433, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "Multivariate regression models for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Avery, Robert B, 1977. "Error Components and Seemingly Unrelated Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 199-209, January.
- Kontoghiorghes, E. J. & Clarke, M. R. B., 1995. "An alternative approach for the numerical solution of seemingly unrelated regression equations models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 369-377, April.
- anonymous, 1982. "Communications," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(12), pages 1471-1475, December.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1981. "Simultaneous equations with error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 189-200, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:1424. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.