The compensation problem with fresh starts
Forgiveness is an ethical ideal that advocates that a fresh start should be conferred on those individuals who regret their past choices. Grounded on such a principle, Fleurbaey (2005) proposes the use of the equivalent endowment as the proper measure of the welfare loss experienced by those who have mismanaged their initial resources. In this paper we provide the forgiveness framework with an ethical foundation that allows us to formally deal with the compensation problem. We obtain that different solutions to the ideal of forgiveness can arise according to the distributional requirements that society wants to satisfy.
|Date of creation:||11 Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duranton, Gilles & Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2010. "The Economics of Clusters: Lessons from the French Experience," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199592203, December.
- Marc Fleurbaey & François Maniquet, 2006.
"Fair Income Tax,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(1), pages 55-83.
- Marc Fleurbaey & François Maniquet, 2006. "Fair income tax," Post-Print hal-00246842, HAL.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & MANIQUET, François, "undated". "Fair income tax," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1845, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marc Fleurbaey & Francois Maniquet, 2002. "Fair Income Tax," Economics Working Papers 0021, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 2012.
"Fairness, Responsibility, and Welfare,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199653591, December.
- Marc Fleurbaey, Erik Schokkaert and Koen Decancq, "undated".
"What Good is Happiness?,"
OPHI Working Papers
ophiwp020, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Fleurbaey,Marc & Maniquet,FranÃ§ois, 2011.
"A Theory of Fairness and Social Welfare,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521715348, October.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 1996. "The theory of justice," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 13(2), pages 151-182, April.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 1995. "Equal Opportunity or Equal Social Outcome?," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 25-55, April.
- Giacomo Valletta, 2009.
"A fair solution to the compensation problem,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 32(3), pages 455-478, March.
- Maniquet, F., 1996.
"An Equal Right Solution to the Compensation-Responsability Dilemma,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
335.96, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Maniquet, Francois, 1998. "An equal right solution to the compensation-responsibility dilemma," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 185-202, March.
- Fleurbaey, Marc & Maniquet, Francois, 1996. "Fair allocation with unequal production skills: The No Envy approach to compensation," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 71-93, August.
- Claude D'Aspremont & Louis Gevers, 1977.
"Equity and the Informational Basis of Collective Choice,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 44(2), pages 199-209.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GEVERS, Louis, "undated". "Equity and the informational basis of collective choice," CORE Discussion Papers RP 350, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2012036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.