The compensation problem with fresh starts
Forgiveness is an ethical ideal that advocates that a fresh start should be conferred on those individuals who regret their past choices. Grounded on such a principle, Fleurbaey (2005) proposes the use of the equivalent endowment as the proper measure of the welfare loss experienced by those who have mismanaged their initial resources. In this paper we provide the forgiveness framework with an ethical foundation that allows us to formally deal with the compensation problem. We obtain that different solutions to the ideal of forgiveness can arise according to the distributional requirements that society wants to satisfy.
|Date of creation:||11 Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fleurbaey,Marc & Maniquet,FranÃ§ois, 2011. "A Theory of Fairness and Social Welfare," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521715348, November.
- Marc Fleurbaey & François Maniquet, 2006.
"Fair Income Tax,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(1), pages 55-83.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & MANIQUET, François, "undated". "Fair income tax," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1845, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marc Fleurbaey & Francois Maniquet, 2002. "Fair Income Tax," Economics Working Papers 0021, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Marc Fleurbaey & François Maniquet, 2006. "Fair income tax," Post-Print hal-00246842, HAL.
- Marc Fleurbaey, Erik Schokkaert and Koen Decancq, "undated". "What Good is Happiness?," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp020, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Fleurbaey, Marc & Maniquet, Francois, 1996. "Fair allocation with unequal production skills: The No Envy approach to compensation," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 71-93, August.
- Giacomo Valletta, 2009. "A fair solution to the compensation problem," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 32(3), pages 455-478, March.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 2012.
"Fairness, Responsibility, and Welfare,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199653591.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 2008. "Fairness, Responsibility, and Welfare," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199215911.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 1996. "The theory of justice," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 13(2), pages 151-182, April.
- Claude D'Aspremont & Louis Gevers, 1977. "Equity and the Informational Basis of Collective Choice," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(2), pages 199-209.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GEVERS, Louis, "undated". "Equity and the informational basis of collective choice," CORE Discussion Papers RP 350, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Maniquet, Francois, 1998. "An equal right solution to the compensation-responsibility dilemma," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 185-202, March.
- Maniquet, F., 1996. "An Equal Right Solution to the Compensation-Responsability Dilemma," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 335.96, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Duranton, Gilles & Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2010. "The Economics of Clusters: Lessons from the French Experience," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199592203.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 1995. "Equal Opportunity or Equal Social Outcome?," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 25-55, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2012036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.